Info-Turbo for Falcon panelvan

panelvanner, Feb 4, 11:15am
I have available to me, a turbo that runs 17psi on a 2.2L Diesel, I know, small engine, but would it pump enough air to supply say 4-6 PSI on my 4.0L XH Panelvan, running off upturned extractors, and intercooled, orwould it be inefficient, and be over worked! Just a thought.
Cheers.
Panelvanner.

pollymay, Feb 4, 11:59am
Get the model number of the turbo.

unbeatabull, Feb 4, 6:13pm
Has been done. Common job in Aus - you can buy off the shelf turbo kits for the early 4.0 Barra engines. (EA Onwards, incl XH if it is a 4.0 and not a 4.1)

gadgit3, Feb 4, 6:52pm
Turbo off a 3C-T! if so or round that size might be a bit small. It will be good down low but you will run out of puff higher in the rev range as you just can't pass enough air through the turbo inlet for the big 6.

tamac, Feb 5, 8:43am
Yeah, I know, snort performance make some awesome kits and others, was going to experiment. It's off a diesel Captiva. I thought about the "run out of puff". Cheers
Panelvanner.

unbeatabull, Feb 5, 9:27am
Considering the lower rev range for these engines (Around 5,500 is standard limit) you would probably get away with it. Considering the BA Turbos etc all ran at 7psi too.

tlharrex, Feb 5, 7:14pm
It will be far to small. Diesels generally use smaller turbos relative to their capacity than petrols, for example I am currently looking for a turbo for my 4.2 litre diesel and have been told something to suit a 2 to 2.5L petrol will be somewhere around right.

mrfxit, Feb 5, 7:54pm
Also need to consider that this coon isn't a turbo engine in the1st place so in reality should be running lower then std top pressures for reliability's sake.
From my understanding of turbo's (which is limited)
Max air flow would be the bigger issue.
I would suspect very snappy revs from start but run short for higher revs which would be great for general around town & towing around town.

A bigger turbo on lower boost pressures would be slower around town but great on the open road & higher revs

mrfxit, Feb 5, 8:02pm
Older diesels tend to have a very narrow but good power band so don't need a high air flow turbo.
The coon is already a high torque engine so with that small turbo, could end up with a gruntier low to mid range power band but may not notice it at higher revs.
Again, depends on the total air flow rate at higher revs.
If it won't flow as much air at high revs as the stock system does now, then it's going to starve.

Horses for courses & whats going to work for what you need.
No magic bullet but a simple case of will it do what YOU NEED it to do & knowing the max air flow rate comparison of that turbo & that engine will help a lot

panelvanner, Feb 9, 1:57am
I realise the limited potential, was more thinking out loud. The 'coons are a good low down torquey engine, and of course they only realistically rev to 5500rpm (as above) Fuel cut at 5700. Top speed is not really relevant, but acceleration/mid range is what I am after. Only going to run stock internals and std BTRE 95LE anyway, until the demise of one or other! LOL! However, I don't want to hobble the higher engine speeds with too small a turbo anyway.
Cheers guys.
Panelvanner.

pollymay, Feb 9, 2:06am
The chinese turbos are cheap now. You'll find they actually last ok if you pull them apart before using them and clean the bearings etc very well. Much of the time the tolerances are fine but metal swath from machining is left behind.

Although I did see one bad batch come through, exploding turbine wheels. Always run an intercooler or screen before the motor for this very reason.