New small car advice.

nightboss, Feb 10, 2:16am
Compiling a test drive list.

Looking to but a cheep to run "to and from" work commuting car, travel 35km each way 5 days/week. Want something 4dr, about 1500cc, either new or still under warranty (ex-demo or under 10,000km) price max $18,000 (not needing or wanting financing)

kazbanz, Feb 10, 2:23am
Nightboss-not critiquing your thinking but why not stuff a bit older year wise and allow for a 3 year warranty! -then theres a huge range available to you.
Then you have a wider choice of makes/models and can still stipulate really low milage

nightboss, Feb 10, 2:43am
With so much electronic equipment on modern cars I am hesitant to consider anything outside of manufacturers warranty. We have all heard the four figure horror stories of engine management or automatic repairs on five to ten year old cars.

You talk of three year warranty - is that manufacturers! If not what sort!

kazbanz, Feb 10, 2:57am
Nightboss-The horror stories you refer to when it comes to Jap cars is mostly just that.Its a pretty rare occurrance.
The "warranty" I refer to is actually called a Mechanical breakdown insurance.
AA or Autosure -makes no odds same policy different color paper.
Budget $1000 for a Jap car and $1400 for euro. for three years cover
Have the car serviced by YOUR mechanic so no compulsary dealer only maintainence.
Service requirements are 10000km for diesel or 15000k for petrol-nopenalties for doing it more often of course.
Cover is 5k per claim for the sort of car we are discussing

nightboss, Feb 10, 3:02am
Thanks kaz - well explained. It will increase my "wishlist"

NZTools, Feb 10, 3:25am
I woulnt worry about "horror stories" too much. The vast majority of cars on the road see over 150,000 kms on the clock without any major mechanical or electrical issues. There are certainly exceptions to every rule, however I wouldnt base a buying decision on the possibilty of a wiring horror story coming true.

Your 35 km comute is only 18,200 kms a year wich is about average.There are plenty of 10 year old cars with 200,000 plus ks on the clock which means most of them survived the first 4 years.

msigg, Feb 10, 3:34am
well one of the best would be corolla or mazda 2 , suzuki is the biggest selling small car, get an ex demo that way you get a couple of grand of the price, should be good buying. Yea trans failure and electrics do fail at times, chec what vehicles the rental cars use, you know they are good because their business relies on reliability. Good luck.