Hours to replace a Sonata engine?

supernova2, Feb 12, 9:51pm
Given the following details how many hours do you reckon would be appropriate to do the work!

Sonata 2 ltr auto
Towed to workshop
Replacement engine (complete) on pallet
Cam belt kit inc pump supplied.

So essentially its pluck old , do cam belt etc and fit new.

I know what I think and I know what the customer was quoted elsewhere.Just after your thoughts.

mm12345, Feb 12, 10:55pm
Would want to have a very good look at how much plumbing is involved and how easy is it to get to it all - "little" things can take up a lot of time, ie are manifolds supplied with new engine!
Also, the second time you did one of this model, it's probably going to take much less time than the first. A guess would be 10 hours (including stuffing around with the new cam belt, replacing the water pump, and replacing the rear main crank seal - which is a very dumb thing not to do with an engine which has probably been sitting in a dusty shed for a long time.+/- 4 hours.

phillip.weston, Feb 12, 11:18pm
it's essentially a Korean-ised Mitsubishi Galant. You'll find it's exactly the same job as a 4G63 DOHC engine from the late 80s/early 90s to do the cam-belt job on.

supernova2, Feb 13, 7:38am
Bit more info
is a year 2000
only part "missing" from replacement is alternator

and the quote was $2000 +gst + fluids etc

robotnik, Feb 13, 7:56am
$2000 sounds pretty good, doing cambelt too. I remember being quoted around $2500 + GST5 years ago for to put a replacement engine in a galant.

supernova2, Feb 13, 8:00am
Hang on the quote is just to fit not supply the engine

Its work out based on 22 yes 22 hours

llortmt, Feb 13, 10:30am
I'd quote 16 hours so around $1k + gst and any parts/fluids etc

I've heard that before, one turns out to be auto and the other manual, engine loom and every hose etc cut by animals working at wreckers oh and hold on the sumps different!

supernova2, Feb 13, 11:43am
Too true but in this case I've seen the replacement engine and its a straight drop in the hole and hook it up.Its clean but it hasn't been cleaned if you know what I mean.I reckon 9-10hrs would do it unless it's stubbon and refuses to start or something stuipd

gadgit3, Feb 13, 6:09pm
Most front wheel drive cars I would estimate 10-12 hours. Alot of them you can just drop the sub frame and work away on the engine swap unhinded.

llortmt, Feb 13, 6:14pm
The book time surprised me at 18 hours to remove and install.