Correct tyre pressure?

aoc1, Mar 7, 7:12am
Hi,

Whats the correct tyre pressure for 175/65R14 on a Nissan Note 2005!

Thanks in advance

mr_lovebug, Mar 7, 7:19am
32 psi.

Thats what I have in my car that is running a 185/60/14's same size overal.

aoc1, Mar 7, 7:21am
Thats what I thought brought the car last week and it had 19-21 psi in 3 tyres and 35 psi in the other so changed them all to 32 psi. Thanks

dan.kev, Mar 7, 9:40am
32 allround

mrfxit, Mar 8, 1:01am
34psi front
28psi back unless you are carting around a lot of ppl or weight then 32psi minimum

Q: Whats in the front of your car!
A: engine/ gearbox/ diff/ driveshafts / suspension links /fwd hubs

Q: whats in the back of your car!
A: 1 pair of wheels/ basic trailing hubs & suspension links

Difference in weightbetween front & rear is HUGE on a std FWD vehicle

mrfxit, Mar 8, 1:03am
Yours is older & built a little heavier & . yea well . we can chat about that next time you call in ;-)

mrfxit, Mar 8, 1:10am
Despite some of the tyres fitters being "trained" in what to do, some are still very ignorant of real life driving on tyres in NZ.

Eg: 88 Toyota Surf running 6" rims & 31" AT tyres (275/75/15") at 2ton vehicle weight
Several tyre shop ppl have almost demanded I should be running 34spi all round
I tried 36psi 3 years ago & it started ripping the shoulders off, so went back to 38psi & got 30,000km's out of a pair of (when fitted) 2mm deep tyres & were STILL at 1.5mm when sold this year.

AND those "experts" wanted me to run 34psi .

aoc1, Mar 8, 7:48am
Mrfixit what is the correct pressure for low profile 17's on a Mazda familiar.

beast9, Mar 8, 9:57am
for low profile tyres like that you should be running between 38-42 psi

mrfxit, Mar 8, 9:57am
From past comments & past experience between 36psi to 40psi front & 32psi to 36psi rear.
The lower the profile, the more psi you need to keep the rims off thetarseal.

The more weight you tend to carry on a regular basis, the more psi you need in the end thats carting the extra weight.

A really good test is this.

A flat, slightly dusty concrete driveway
After having been for a short drive around the block (warms the tyres a little), Drive in a straight line gently up the driveway & stop gently.

You will SEE by the dust on the tyre tread surface, how much of the tread is touching when driven in a straight line.

The rears should be only just touching the edges.
The fronts should have around 20mm of tyre edge showing with no dust.

Remember that when cornering, the tyre is being forced hard on to the shoulder, but in a straight line it's the center that gets worn more.

You need to strike a balance between edge & shoulder wear to get the best km's.

When the suspension is in good condition & aligned properlyAND it's not a "trash & bash" driver .but incorrect psi to suit
Front tyres always wear shoulders more
Rear tyres always wear the centers more

Most ppl run too low psi in the front & too high psi in the rear

mrfxit, Mar 8, 9:59am
The "up or down psi" balance average depends a lot of what you are doing with the vehicle.

Same pressure all round means too soft in the front & or too hard in the rear by about 2psi to 4psi.

carkitter, Mar 10, 2:15am
Nearly right.
It's the volume of air that carries the weight. In a large space that's a relatively low psi. In a small space the pressure needs to be increased.

mrfxit, Mar 10, 2:21am
Relativity is a wonderful thing at times.

6" wide rims with 275/75/15": tyres = 38psi for good minimal wear

v8_mopar, Mar 10, 2:49am
So what should my tyre pressure be!

BA XR8 on factory rims. Car weight is 2.1 tonn and driven 50/50 city/rural. I keep them at 36 all round and have to pump the front up every week due to the front end weight im guessing as tyres are newish and ive replaced the valves.

mrfxit, Mar 10, 4:02am
Mmmm 38psi front sounds about right if they are low profile, extra low needs a higher pressure again.
Would go with 34 back if not carting any extra weight around.

Your 36psi seems like a "safe" option

Sounds a bit like you have bead or rim leakage.
Are the tyres minimal size for the rims or well sized where the tyre bead is sitting over the rim bead.

Yea having the same leakage issues with a pair of 205/50/16's

v8_mopar, Mar 11, 11:34am
Tyre size is 235/45/17 . If I had a bead leakage would this just require a removal and refitting!The rims are all unscratched so would hope there is no damage there or warping.

Cheers for input :)

mrfxit, Mar 11, 7:09pm
If you're lucky, a strip/ clean tyre & rim beads, then refit with new valve stem & bead sealer should be fine.
Worse case would be a porous rim or porous tyre but a "tyre Pando" type repair "kit in a can" should sort that out.

In either case, they shouldn't need to re-balance the tyres if they are careful about weights, so probably looking at something like $10 to $20 per tyre for the strip & clean depending on where you go

bill-robinson, Mar 11, 7:23pm
what about pressures in 315.35.17 on a 800 kg car!these are on the rear

mrfxit, Mar 12, 9:11am
Would still be using the 34psi as a good starting point & go up or down slightly depending on what the real amount of rubber is on the profile & overall weights

bill-robinson, Mar 13, 9:17pm
well I started at 24lbs, after a short drive i have lowered them to 18lbs. now feels pretty good. I looked about on the netfor tyre pressure advice for these Toyo's that I have and came up with a result of no less than 17lbs cold in a light car.
For those of you who do not know there is a sticker on the drivers door pillar of most cars giving the recommended tyre pressure. it could be in bar (1.9) or kg/cm or psi. buy a good tyre guage and start with these pressures, move up or down to suit but only by 2-4 lbs. Check them once a month, and while doing that look at the tread and see what it is like.
if you drive an import you should buy a drivers manual here on TM this will give you the information you need to use your car safely

kevymtnz, Mar 13, 10:05pm
a simple way is to look at the max rating on the tyre and 10-12% less than that eg 40psi max = 35psi / 32psi max 28psi

remember it goes by the tyre ratings not what the cars says as thats for factory fitting tyres from new

kazbanz, Mar 13, 11:15pm
look inside the drivers door frame. The factory recommended pressures are there.

unbeatabull, Mar 14, 4:47am
Thats standard size fitment if its a factory rim, so won't be due to tyre size.

We find anything less then 36 causes the shoulders to wear on Falcons on the rear. Anything less then 38 causes shoulders to wear on the front.

If Valves all good, slap some bead seal on and monitor from there. Otherwise may have to find a tyre bath to submerge it in and find where exactly it is leaking from.

bill-robinson, Mar 14, 6:01am
gee thanks, I had a look at max pressure rating on the tyre51psi.
so using your theory 40 psi would be the go then!I can tell you, not dream this, that the car would be undrivable at those pressures your theory is absolute rubbish and I WILL ignore totally.