RUC charges on a diesel car please.

thedevil1, Mar 7, 9:56pm
how much is it to buy 10,000 ks on a diesel car. class 2 i think. its a nissan sedan with a 2.8 diesel.

pge, Mar 7, 10:11pm

thedevil1, Mar 7, 10:41pm
thanx for that

mykl, Mar 7, 10:45pm
$48 per 1000ks so you are looking at $480 for 10,000 kms.

What I would like to know is if anyone pays RUC for their 4WD SUV/Boat combo. I'm about to get a diesel 4WD for towing the boat and the rate is $48/1000ks for up to 3.5 tonne which is OK for the towing vehicle. However when I tow the boat the combined weight is around 4.3 tonne so I should be paying $55/1000ks for the 3.5 to 6 tonne bracket. Does anyone do this in reality! Has anyone been pulled over by the police and been done for underweight RUC class when towing a boat, or do they turn a blind eye to it!

mm12345, Mar 7, 11:24pm
That's been asked many times - lord knows why people ask it - as asking for extra taxes is surely like having a death wish.
AFAIK, the answer is no for light trailers (<3500kg), unless the weight on the drawbar takes the weight on the towing vehicle over weight.As that's 3500kg these days, it's pretty unlikely (and inadvisable) with a standard drawbar / towball set-up.
Perhaps the logic in it is that the weight on the driven wheels is what's considered in terms of what damages road surfaces.
I've never been checked for RUC whether towing or not towing.

mrfxit, Mar 8, 12:53am
Simpler costing for ruc's is $199 for 4000km's (over the PO counter).
It's a nice round figure that most domestic ppl would get due to the $$ amount

theram1, Mar 8, 1:05am
Chance are that unless the CVIU are out policing light diesel powered vehicles, you will get away with exceeding the weight on your RUC sticker.

mrfxit, Mar 8, 1:18am
OR
Doing something to attract "other" attention

12shirl, Mar 8, 8:08am
rules have all changed, I bought continuence ks for my mitsi challenger and it gave me 1 tonne stickers, I rang 0800 number and they said its set buy the manufacturer on the gross vehical weight & 1 tonne takes it to 1.8 tonne with allowable tolerance, also no price difference from 1 to 3 tonne. asked cviu cop on side of the road wot if i had car load of sumu wrestlers or big trailer, he said as long as i dont exceed tow ball & bar rateing it dont matter.