Project cars, whats your thoughts?

mr_lovebug, Mar 3, 2:39am
I am thinking of doing a project.

My project I have in mind is something really mad/nuts by most peoples thoughts/ideas.

I am wanting to get a rear sub frame from MX5 and put it into the rear of a EB civic,then to mid mount a 1600cc motor & box into the mx5 sub frame.

Thats just the starting point,I also would like to cut the roof to just behind the drivers piller,e.g. like a ute & have the motor under the rear deck.

Who thinks this could be a fun car & how many problems will I run into Re certs!

Or should I do the roof change 1st, then to start doing the sub frame and mid mounting afterwards!

Any thoughts comments welcomed.

twink19, Mar 3, 2:42am
sounds like a good project, wouldnt cut the roof, speak to a certifier first, will make life easier

franc123, Mar 3, 2:59am
Certification nightmare, you're working with an incredibly flimsy bodyshell to start with without cutting large sections out of it.Makes no sense at all.

mr_lovebug, Mar 3, 3:10am
Okay,I can see what you guys are saying.

Without doing the MX5 subframe & mid mounting,

I am thinking of removing part 40% of the roof,taking the rear seat out,putting a steel bar across the car (behind the front seat backs) and then welding a bar going up from the bar across the floor & the top of the window frame area (where the support bar is from across the car)then welding a light bar to follow the spare of the roof & then make steel panel up that can be the rear panel sealer,and put a window into from a ute (hilux) or something like that.

Then Having a flat lid that goes over the area that is left open from the rear seat.

Thats my plan so far.

mr_lovebug, Mar 3, 3:15am
Listing #: 567645305

Guy has taken the whole roof off,

I want to make one look like a ute like a holden ute.

a.woodrow, Mar 3, 3:17am
Have a look on the LVVC website, they have a form that you can download where you can submit your plan to them and they can advise you on what can and cannot be certified, and offer other advice. It's quite involved, something like thirty odd pages but it does go into an awful lot of detail. It will give you a fair idea of what you can do and still certify it for the road

mugenb20b, Mar 3, 3:18am
EB Civic! Stick a Yamaha R1 engine in there.

mr_lovebug, Mar 3, 3:26am
Just looked up the specs on theYamaha R1.

Dam nice bike.The motor could be much fun in a EB civic.

socram, Mar 3, 3:43am
Ask around first then if you still want to go ahead, for a $95 lodgement fee, and 20 pages of form filling, they'll point you in the right direction, but be prepared to submit a fair bit of additional info in the way of working drawings.Certainly, a chat to a certifier first may save you a lot of grief later.
One word of warning.It is an area where the rules keep changing, so do as much thinking and prep work as possible before you decide to start.

bigfatmat1, Mar 3, 4:19am
does a mx5 even have a sub frame being front engine mounted

mr-serious, Mar 3, 5:50am
Well that's the beauty of it all isn't it. One mans nightmare is another mans idea of a good project. My opinion, sounds like a nightmare of a body to be cutting and mounting a sub frame to. However nothing is out of the quetion these days.

doug207, Mar 3, 6:12am
An R1 motor would suck in something that heavy. A B18CR would be a fairly easy swap, much cheaper and go better.

a18a, Mar 3, 7:33am
The part where you wanna put a rear subframe from a front-engined car in the back makes no sense if you want to put the motor in the back. You'd be better off doing what a lot of other people do, which is cut the whole engine bay out of a fwd car and weld it into the back of the civic

meteor05, Mar 3, 8:00am
Can't believe what I'm reading, I'm all for nutcase projects BUT if you have to ask how and say things like ' put a bar across the back ' or whatever, you shouldn't really be doing that kinda stuff.

hatchback, Mar 3, 8:11am

fordcrzy, Mar 3, 8:24am
it comes down to simple geometry.It simply wont fit! an mx5 engine and gearbox is about 1.5 meters long! how the hell do you think that will fit in the rear of a civic! maybe if you fitted 4wd civic rear arms and transverse mounted some sort of engine that might work

socram, Mar 3, 9:32am
Loved the twin engined Mini Cooper of the 1960's, or the Deep Sanderson, also twin engined.Go for broke and fit an engine in each end!

jmma, Mar 3, 9:37am
pollymay will have some ideas, he put an engine in the back of a Prelude, If I remember right (o:

pollymay, Mar 3, 10:11am
You're better off building your own subframe to hold the motor than doing that. I've always seen that as a kind of silly way of doing it. You can then fab your own suspension arms to the right geometry.

My prelude may look rough but it goes like a raped ape on the track for that reason.