Pro's and Cons of the Isuzu Bighorn 4x4 please?

murdoc4, Mar 2, 8:19am
Interested in getting one but woud appreciate any views good or bad, cheers.

valiantpaul, Mar 2, 8:39am
I would probably avoid the 3 litre common rail in 98 onwards, they take a lot to keep going.

mugenb20b, Mar 2, 8:41am
I would only get a Bighorn that has a manual gearbox with a 2.2, 2.8 or 3.1 diesel engines.

edangus, Mar 2, 8:44am
Can I ask, whats wrong with the petrol engines! I've been looking foir a back up Ute/SUV but really only want petrol. It will sit around for weeks on end with no use.

reggienz, Mar 2, 8:47am
2.8 Turbo diesel is bullet proof. 2.2 is quite underpowered, and 3.1 used to have a problem with cracking the cylinder liners , but if they have been resleeved then ok after that.

mugenb20b, Mar 2, 8:51am
Nothing wrong with a petrol motor as such(assuming it's a V6), but I've come across many with automatic transmission problems. No doubt some people have had a good run out of theirs.

edangus, Mar 2, 9:01am
Oh OK, cool. Noted on the Auto

franc123, Mar 2, 10:57am
The 3.2V6 is a reasonable motor and performs and drinks as good as any other Jap V6 of the era but its labour intensive to fix if it does go wrong, head gaskets for example are a motor out job and its hours before you can even get into pulling the heads, its mounted VERY close to the firewall.They were never common compared to the 3.1TD's and would be more difficult to sell no doubt.If this doesn't concern you then go for it BUT get anything checked out thoroughly before buying, auto's especially for any odd slurry gearchanging or dirty fluid. Leaks from the driveline and steering boxes are also common. DO NOT be tempted by 3.0 diesels no matter how cheap, they are an abortion of a design that Isuzu should never have put on the market and was the subject of several recalls including mods to stop them over revving and blowing up at random.

geminidragon, Mar 2, 5:49pm
3.1 diesel is a powerful workhorse

geminidragon, Mar 2, 5:50pm
radiators must be keep clean ,i removed mine and the top and bottom tank was removed and rodded out for $80 ,money well spent

wilgil, Mar 2, 7:12pm
Had my 3.5 V6 Bighorn for nearly two years after a succession of diesels, including 3L Surf. Without doubt my petrol bighorn is the smoothest, most comfortable and powerful vehicle I have ever had. Fantastic towing vehicle -and my boat isn't light. Disc brakes all round. Nothing has gone wrong. Thirsty as hell though - but for my purpose, I'd rather have a decent petrol any day compared to the diesels in my price range. I believe that the only issue with the isuzu petrol engines is that they don't like being run low on oil - someone knowledgeable might be able to confirm this!

murdoc4, Mar 3, 12:41am
Thanks everyone!Some really good info in here for us to take into consideration.Good to have a msg board like this with varied, honest views!

a.woodrow, Mar 3, 12:54am
Run the oil low in anything and you're asking for trouble