Galaxy of Cars , Western Springs, Sunday.

Page 1 / 2
tractor9, Feb 23, 3:29am
Anyone going!

toyboy3, Feb 23, 3:41am
might take a couple of things and sell them at the auto jumble

socram, Feb 23, 5:37am
Yup.Someone wants a quarterlight fitting I no longer need.

whqqsh, Feb 23, 5:49am
was going to go last year but was told by organisers that Western Springs management insist on no driving through during the day, once youre in, youre in until close & not allowed to go before. So because we had other things to do in the afternoon we didnt bother. Found out later ppl were leaving early & driving in & out all day. WTF!
hope its more certain this year

trade4us2, Feb 23, 6:59am
I'll have a look. I suppose I'll have to pay to get in.

tractor9, Feb 23, 7:15am
Yep, twelve bucks I think.

vjregal770, Feb 23, 8:09am
Yep, that and the notoriously grumpy old farts in their fluoro vests and the bullsh1t "pass" system (which was unadvertised). GoC used to be my personal favourite, even over Kumeu, how things change.

trade4us2, Feb 23, 8:35am
How does the pass system work! I need to go in and out a bit, since I have other work to do.

tuttyclan, Feb 23, 8:43am
Yeh I dont think I am going.(Humms and hers)!

vjregal770, Feb 23, 9:48am
If you're displaying a car, you need a card with a number on it, which is only made available to clubs and their members. This system was introduced in 2011, unannounced, which saw a LOT of classics, rods etc shoved into the public carpark. Many were simply turning around and leaving. Even better, the dickheads were letting in daily drivers into the show area as they had a card from their car club. I think they're trying to turn it into a wannabe-Ellerslie.

tuttyclan, Feb 24, 8:49am
Yep did not go!

tractor9, Feb 24, 5:56pm
I did, not as many cars, different crowd of people. Swap meet ok, bloody heaps of Commodores(20+) and Minis TRAILERED to the show!!!

tgray, Feb 24, 6:34pm
Wrong. I went yesterday and told them I was not a member of a club and they said that's fine, issued my a number and I was ushered through.
I hope your post didn't stop others turning up.

floscey, Feb 24, 8:46pm
$17 bucks for me a my boy + the $5 for parking then had to squeeze between the group of bucket waver donation collectors who are standing right next to you when the guy gives you $3 change from a $20 note , then every 10min they approach you asking for more.Some nice cars , but i can see late model commondores on the drive to the event.

hopefully some good weather at Pukekohe swapmeet might bring out some swappers.

tuttyclan, Feb 25, 12:59am
And they missed out on something more unique than a Commodore.
My 1960 Vauxhall Victor.I did not have to sit and look at all those Commodores for hours which one can see on almost every street anyway.
I used to do Pukekohe Swap Meet and Car Show,Intermarque at Ellerslie,Kumeu Swap Meet and Car Show I stopped going to these ones a few years ago.
Honestly I think my car show days are over,they are just too boring (as in the same cars every year),rather just go for a drive and enjoy my car.

tgray, Feb 25, 1:05am
Bayswater school on bayswater rd takapuna have a good classic car show on 10th march. Went last year and was great. Will be taking the Camaro along.

tuttyclan, Feb 25, 1:11am
Well I dont know why they let you in as you can only get in there if you are in a Car Club and only the Club itself recieves these passes which are THEN handed to the members who are displaying their car.
Sorry thats what really happens so your wrong sorry.

tgray, Feb 25, 2:37am
No.
That might have been the rule last year, but not this year.
I even called the organiser (Noel Mountjoy) and talked to him before going.
Club members cars are free and general public display cars are $12 entry.
If you want to tell me the organiser is wrong, then go ahead.
I won't post again.

socram, Feb 25, 2:38am
Thanks for the heads up.may well go to that. Some interesting comments above.
I understand that if the public are paying to see the cars, then they expect the cars to be there. Equally, there is no way I'm taking a car and sitting around for 8 hours frying in the sun.
There is a reasonable option though.If the show opens 10am to the public, allow cars to leave from 12 noon onwards if they wish and that means if the paying customers go early, they miss nothing.If they choose to roll up at 3pm, that is their problem.
I have Hampton Downs booked for Sunday April 21st.Anyone interested in organising a car show! If yes, then they'll need to man the paddock gate, arrange to collect the gate takings and hand over 50%.Our 50% will either subsidise the race meeting or go to Child Cancer.

We can stipulate that car show people can come and go as and when they like and those on the gate decide whether or not they are fit for adisplay area or not, based on rarity, age, interest w.h.y.It is a Classic Race meeting and at this stage, spectator entry is free.

vjregal770, Feb 25, 2:44am
Maybe they got the message then. That was certainly the case when I and many others turned up. 2011 in particular was a farce. People can make their own mind up whether to go or not.

xpfairmont, Feb 25, 2:46am
They've always asked me which car club I'm with since the late 90's. I've always told them that I'm not with any car club but they've always let me in (including last yeah when I turned up late).
Was late this year as well (11am) but road was blocked off so I had to pay $5 to park on a dusty field + another $12 at the gate + $7 for hot chips and a coke!
I'll just go for a drive next year instead, because the show has been the some old sh*t for over 10 years and not worth the money any more!

vjregal770, Feb 25, 2:48am
That sounds to me like club members are free and can display in the grounds, whereas non-club owners pay $12 and have to park in the public carpark - which sucks. Buggered if I'm going park my Caddy there, then pay for the privilege of looking at a bunch of late-model Commondores and daily drivers!

tgray, Feb 25, 3:36am
I said I wouldn't post again, but can't resist one more .
Non club members were allowed to park on the grass, right inside the stadium with the rest of the club cars. They were not relegated to the carpark. I was sitting next to a mini, audi and a challenger and all of them were not members of any club.
The only difference was the non club cars pay $12 (to a good cause) and the club members don't.
There was quite a few Caddy's there and you should have come along!
Lots of early 70's Caddy's with the 8200cc engine. They were quite a sight to see.

whqqsh, Feb 25, 3:42am
aaaand such is the confusion of the modern Galaxy of Cars. no thanks!

tuttyclan, Feb 25, 4:01am
Car club members (which I am one of) has always been free for the driver only.My problem is its the same old stuff year in year out and this year I decided to make the break and do something different.When I was there last year I could not help to notice that it was mainly the expensive cars that got to go on the grassed inner circle on the track while the rest of us are shoehorned in (might as well park at the Warehouse)on the concrete away from most of the action.Our Club apparently parked in this same location as last year.I watched a videofrom 2012 someone had put up on a popular video website and I noticed that lots of cars got filmed (mainly in the centre grassed area),some where taken on the concrete but when they got some of our cars in sight the camera operator would swing it away from our cars.
Please note that this is not a issue from my club ,more of something I have personally noticed.