Mitsi challenger. Thinking of buying a challenger 2000 to 04 model petrol wondering about the difference between the 35 and 30 e

islandbreeze, Feb 16, 11:15pm
Thinking of buying a challenger 2000 to 04 model, petrol wondering about the difference between the 3.5 and 3.0 engines performance wise,economy and reliability, only going to be used as a family vehicle and not off road, appreciate any help.

lazzo, Feb 17, 12:31am
I've had plenty of experience with these, I find the 3.0 better than the 3.5 but the 2.8 diesel is a nice unit too, if youre interested in etrol you should buy a NZ New 3.0 one if you can with the spare wheel under as opposed to on the rear door, try and get a face lifted one with the six spoke allows and the diamond in the centre of the grille and chrome around the headlights.

monaro17, Feb 17, 12:36am
I have heard it is an a#*ehole of a job to change the cambelt on the 3.0 engines, 5hrs+. Not sure about the 3.5- if it's just a bored and stroked version it too would be awful to change.

n3d4sp3d, Feb 17, 4:30am
the 3.5 is a jap import GDI (guaranteed dealer income) would not touch one of these with a 10 foot barge poll. the NZ new 3.0 is a good truck. lower outer balljoints and steering drop arms are a bit weak easy enough to replace though

matarautrader, Feb 17, 7:02am
Changed from a diesel 2.8 Pajero to a 2003 3.0 petrol Challenger. Very happy with it so far. Tows well and averages around town with some open highway use about 13 litres/100km.

mugenb20b, Feb 17, 7:37am
I've seen worse.

geminidragon, Feb 24, 6:12pm
they look nice

smac, Feb 24, 7:16pm
If you're buying one, why are you even asking about economy! It's irrelevant.

mike77, Feb 24, 9:00pm
13L/100 is spot on, a bit less if you nana it and have standard road tyres.

TBH, if it's staying on road, I wouldn't buy one, plenty of other cheaper options out there. But compared to similar 4x4 of that year they are good money for what you get.

3.0 does become a bit gutless once you start towing heavy loads say over 1500kgs, but solid as and handles well while you do it.

And also, I would stay away form the 3.5 GDI. Try find one with the 5 speed auto. Otherwise the old box sits at 2500rpm at 100kms/hr.
Good cars for heading down the beach and easy off road stuff, but thats about it, untill ya start spending money.