Running costs diesel 4wd vs petrol ute

calvin_85, Feb 20, 5:47am
What would be more expensive to run when factoring in fuel, rego, rucs, maintenance etc! I'm thinking about selling my 94 Pajero 2.8 td for a hilux 2.0 petrol ute or similar, prob 2wd but maybe 4wd.

Theres nothing wrong with my pajero but the lump whack of rucs is starting to bug me.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 20, 5:59am
There is no cheap running option in old Ute's like that, Petrol ones are thirsty too. You can use my calculator at www.petrolvsdiesel.webs.com to get some idea, registration cost may be slightly different for the truck but won't be enough to sway the results much.

Given how expensive those old utes are to buy I would suggest you think outside the box in terms of what you could buy for similar money in a modern common rail diesel that will do the same job (whatever that job is). For example, what about a Mercedes Vito van!

The reason being old Japanese Utes and the like are mostly grossly over priced, high maintenance, thirsty and many are gutless as well.

mrfxit, Feb 20, 6:01am
Theres several factors & all combine in their own way to give you the result.

Who's doing the maintenance (you or the garage)
How many km's do you expect to travel per year
What size vehicle & age
Towing loads or not
Is speed or comfort an issue

& a few other deciding factors

twink19, Feb 20, 6:01am
I swapped from a 2.5 Pajero desiel to a falcon, worked out about the same, taking into account fuel, servicing, ruc, rego, and the Falcon is more comfortable to ride in

monsieurl, Feb 20, 6:06am
A 2.0 Hilux. does that even move ;)

IMO it's relative, i have had a 3.0 diesel Hilux and a 4.0 petrol Ford explorer and after RUC's etc was pretty much the same, Diesel's are pretty much designed for low rev torque for towing etc.

msigg, Feb 20, 8:32am
Cheapest option is to keep what you have. No doubt about it.

arrithedog, Feb 21, 10:52am
That's not a UTE It's a VAN.

mrfxit, Feb 21, 4:58pm
What most ppl forget about is that a diesel is very often cheaper on a "day to day" basis
Eg: a 100km trip in your petrol vehicle may cost $85 but in the diesel vehicle it would be $60.
On a yearly basis is probably is dearer in direct comparison "like for like" usability but that cheaper day to day running is really nice

trader_84, Feb 22, 8:34am
What do you mean 'over priced'! They are priced at what the market will stand. They've always been pricey and gutless . but cheap and easy to fix up. Most times too . no mechanic required to effect the fix either. Try doing that with a ECU equipped, common rail bullsh1t bullsh1t late model lightweight that you paid moonbeams for . then complain as you watch it depreciate quicker than a quick thing.

mrfxit, Feb 22, 9:04am
I DARE ANYONE, to find a vehicle computer in my lux . but then again some of you know the truth

budgel, Feb 23, 9:53pm
A petrol engined ute will definitely work out cheaper and less problematic if you are doing short around town runs. Diesels dont like cold running and once winter comes will soot up glowplugs killing them & making the enginehard to start.
If the usage is for high ks then a diesel will justify the extra expense of RUC, more filters etc. IMHO.

franc123, Feb 23, 10:27pm
Before reading too much into a Jap vs Euro or petrol vs diesel argument I'd be taking a hard look at whether I actually NEEDED a ute on a day to day basis at all, if the tray was only going to be used a day or two a week, consider getting a normal passenger car and buying a trailer instead. OK with a trailer you have extra wofs, tyres and wheel bearings etc but this doesn't add up to much over several years running, the $36 annual licence cost for the trailer is actually less than the difference in price between the fees for a petrol car and a petrol ute, which is yet another of the Govts rorts. A friend who was in the market for a ute did exactly this after re evaluating his needs and looking at the silly prices for old utes, instead bought a newer camry wagon, and made a neat covered trailer out of an old holden rodeo wellside and canopy he bought for sod all and just slid a chassis, springs and axle underneath it. He now has a comfortable five seater car with a good cargo area thats more economical to run daily than an average petrol ute, plus the full carrying capacity of a covered single cab ute when required.