2005 Legacy factory navigation removal.

ian86, Feb 18, 12:40am
I am in the process of doing this, my 2005 Subaru Legacy is a Jap import and I am removing the sat/nav (because it is in Japanese) and replacing it with a cubby/dash clock arrangement that is also common in these cars.

Apparently this is quite a common swap, according to the wreckers as the dash cubby is a very sort after part.

In my car there is no factory wiring visible to just plug in to the cubby for the clock/tripmeter to work, and I need to get a harness made to allow it to work. Have been to a couple of auto sparkies and they are a little wary of doing the job because they are unsure of the wiring and don't have a diagram!

If this is a common swap!. just wondering how others that have done it got on!. or could recommend a place that has done it in Auckland that I could try!.cheers

ceedoubleyou, Feb 18, 1:21am
This is what mine looked like originally and then I bought a 7" GPS screen from trademe http://a.yfrog.com/img193/46/123342969full.jpg and this is how it works now:http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=mxYvjBvxDZY

ian86, Feb 18, 2:05am
That looks great., what you have done with yours.
My original is different to yours., mine has buttons along the bottom of the screen. There are places that can convert my nav for NZ streets, but the cost is quite dear. and the rest of the unit remains in Japanese.
Which is a shame. because there are lots of things you can do with it.

kazbanz, Feb 19, 7:58pm
Ian- First off -your satnave will NOT work in NZ -period.
Regarding wiring etc.Unlike us kiwi'sthe japs are loath to cut any wires or plugs if they dont have to.
Once you rip out the satnav you will find a heap of wires coiled up and wrapped in tape or a zip tie in behind /below where the satnav sits.
you literally find the one that plugs into the clock.

ceedoubleyou, Feb 20, 10:07pm
Yes, I've lost my clock and I still have the CD Rom under the drivers seat, but all I needed was the power lead to power up the screen, which fits in the space left where the original Japanese screen resided. I've also fitted a reversing camera. The only problem I have is that I have to physically turn on the GPS screen, it doesn't come on with the ignition.

ian86, Feb 23, 5:41am
The outcome was that I had to get an auto sparkie to tap into the harness to get the clock to work, decided not to bother with the trip meter as it would end up being a mission to wire it in., pulling out half the dash etc.,
have got the clock only clock display now, out of the later model and it looks good in the car.
Before this I rang the dealer that I bought the car off and told them what I was doing and they said to take it in and they would do the swap, as they had done this plenty of times and sell and service a lot of these cars.
They ended up pulling out the stereo etc looking for the plug as they were sure it would be there, but it wasn't to there surprise, the first one they had struck they said. I offered to pay for their time but there was no charge., they were more than helpful, so I think they will get all the servicing on the car from now on.