Gas detector for caravan.

larch29, Mar 19, 5:27am
Im looking for recommendations from anyone who has one also where do you buy them.Thanks

red97, Mar 19, 5:53am
just keep a candle burning

brokebloke1, Mar 19, 6:01am
try a caravan outlet place they may have them

wellyguynz, Mar 19, 6:05am
Try your local plumbing agent, the one i got is the same size as a smoke detector for $20

gammelvind, Mar 19, 6:08am
Burnsco

oscar220, Mar 19, 6:12am
Try this listing No. 573783415.
Have no idea what they are like though

sanders4, Mar 19, 7:38am
If the bottle is turnred off after use no need for detection. Best and safest practice, ask any boatie.We have gas hobs and internal bottles in both our house and camper and they are always turned off after use, so little time and hassle to guarentee the best nights sleep.

bigfatmat1, Mar 19, 8:43am
what happens when the valve starts leaking. Haha trick question you die

larch29, Mar 19, 11:22am
I read a very frightening near fatal story when friends found fellow campers unconscious because of a valve leak.Thakyou all, I have some idea now on where to start.Cheers.

sr2, Mar 19, 11:35am
Do not use a domestic smoke alarm. Go to a marine supplier, (as per #5) and buy a proper gas detector. Good call with this thread mate; explosive / poisonous gases are usually lethal.

andrewph, Mar 20, 4:15am
Try Bruce at custom coach building ltd near Kumeu

thewomble1, Mar 22, 9:51am
Keep a canary in a cage.

mm12345, Mar 22, 9:59am
Must be a very good one for that price.

mm12345, Mar 22, 10:16am
Probably pretty good.
I bought a Waeco branded one of fleabay, which cost me about NZ$50 including shipping, but the vendor I bought it from doesn't have any more, and other listings are more than double that price.
They certainly work, and normally they have switching circuit, so you can wire them to a cut-off solenoid on the gas bottle (the solenoids aren't cheap either).
You can test them with a cigarette lighter - a puff of gas from that should set them off.
A "must have" apparently these days in camper vans touring some of the nastier parts of Europe, Romania etc if you're brave.There have been a few incidents of criminals pumping anaesthetic gas in to camper van vents, knocking the inhabitants out, stealing their stuff, raping them, abducting selling their kids to russian white slave traders etc.That gas also sets off the alarm, and as the saying goes - you can never be too safe.But IMO, if that was going to be done, I'd rather be out cold to it anyway.