Penrite Oil, opinions please

mokaubach, Mar 27, 1:42pm
I'm using HPM 30 in a classic car, is this brand (Penrite) a good quality oil !

desmodave, Mar 27, 4:33pm
Have used Penrite oil in my Ducati Darmah for many years without any problems.

muzz67, Mar 27, 5:43pm
smoothed out a notchy gearbox in my XR500

thunderbolt, Mar 27, 6:37pm
I use it in my classic car, best oil in its price bracket IMO

rickroller, Mar 27, 9:58pm
That really narrows it down.

What sort of classic car! Engine! etc

socram, Mar 27, 10:27pm
My mechanic swears by Penrite for classics - especially if raced.

Strange that years ago, Duckhams Q20-50, now considered a cheaper oil, was used by many competitors!I never had problems with it and a very hard used Mini Cooper engine that was stripped after 100,000 miles, was only under tolerance for not requiring a crank grind, by a couple of thou on one journal.Mind you, I also added STP to the oil.

On older cars, I believe it is important to never ever run the engine for a short time when cold and make sure the oil always gets up to temperature, even if it means blanking off the bottom third of the radiator in winter.

therafter1, Mar 27, 11:52pm
I use nothing but in everything except my motorcycle and have never had an oil related problem with it or the engines that I have used it in.

car27, Mar 27, 11:59pm
On an older engine just make sure you use an oil with a high zinc content because modern oils have a low content due to it damaging catalytic convertors or add a zinc additive to protect the camshaft lobes.

rickroller, Mar 28, 12:44am
The Penrite range (especially the Classic portion) is a high zddp content oil.

joanie32, Mar 28, 3:02am
had a 4,2 jag. swapped to penrite and difference was amazing. Now have V12and will run nothing else.

mokaubach, Mar 28, 6:03am
Good stuff, thanks guys, cheers.