91 or 96 petrol?

waleedwahsh, Mar 26, 9:02pm
Sorry if this has been asked before, but under what circumstances are you supposed to buy 96 petrol! I've always just put 91 in because it's cheaper, but now I'm wondering what the 96 petrol is supposed to be used for .

franc123, Mar 26, 9:08pm
Hasn't been just asked before, its been done to death. Depends entirely on what vehicle/engine you have, generally higher compression higher performance engines. Search 91 vs 95 or something similar in the search box at left.

wind.turbine, Mar 26, 9:18pm
OH no!
trust me this tread is going to go on and on!

wind.turbine, Mar 26, 9:20pm
it depends on your engine.
some others will be here soon saying it wont matter no matter what engine you have but they are wrong.
I used to use 91 then I changed to 96 and get about 100KM more than I got using 91

dunedin_moto, Mar 26, 9:28pm
Havent seen 96 for a while.
But as above, use what the vehicle manufacturer recommends is a good rule of thumb for a factory vehicle.

tazcsv, Mar 26, 10:29pm
There is a big difference depending on the motor.

lugee, Mar 26, 10:32pm
For a lot of Joe Public cars out there, 91 is fine and is what the engine was designed for. Sportier cars generally require 95 for best performance/. Your owners manual will tell you, failing that the relevant forum for your vehicle/a Google search.

hpaul, Mar 27, 12:07am
OP, tell us what car you have then sit back and watch as we argue for 2 pages over which fuel you should use.

mark.52, Mar 27, 1:18am
Neither. Use 98. Better.

kevymtnz, Mar 27, 1:24am
and only after around 2002 onwards

intrade, Mar 27, 1:48am
if it pinksyou got not enough octane and need to run it on higer octane or better petrol as some fuel that sells for 91 ocate is actuarly droped to 85 octane or lower already befor you put it in your tank.

tigra, Mar 27, 2:01am
My Merc 350 seems to run equally well on either.

gizmsme, Mar 27, 2:58am
Have tested (just using trip gauge over same trip)both fuelsin many different vehicles and never noticed any difference either.
Makes you wonder how much of the differences spoken of on here are proven under reasonable circumstances or just mind over matter!

meathead_timaru, Mar 27, 3:31am
If it has a knock sensor it won't knock noticeably anyway but that doesn't mean it's the best fuel for the vehicle.

meathead_timaru, Mar 27, 3:43am
As a self-employed person I need to maintain a log book for 3 months every 3 years. The last two with the same vehicle demonstrated a solid 12% increase in fuel economy on the later 95 run - I normally run 95 and changed just for the previous test 3½ years ago. That more than outweighted the 5% fuel price difference.

matthew111, Mar 27, 6:55am
the so called experts will say 96. Cars go on 91 perfectly

smac, Mar 27, 7:17am
You never disappoint.

vr4_legnum, Mar 27, 7:26am
So your saying i should be running my vr4 twin turbo on 91!

What a muppet.

accordb20a, Mar 27, 7:54am
thats why all the cars in this country are f'ed