Cambelt, what are the chances?

fordluva, Mar 23, 5:02am
Im looking at an 02 mitsi lancer, the car has done 147,000km and I have just been told the cambelt has never been changed, Obviously I would get it changed asap, but for the trip home (around 400kms) how bigger risk would it be to drive home!

a.woodrow, Mar 23, 5:08am
It will break or it won't. I once had a customer come in that was booked in for a cambelt replacement on a honda. they parked it outside and I went out to drive it on to the hoist. the cambelt broke just as I got inside the workshop door. valves bent.

pebbles61, Mar 23, 5:20am
You could drive it for 400kms it'd snap or drive it for another 50,000km and not. Just one of those things. I'm praying my belts don't snap before I get all the parts ready for a replacement lol.

kazbanz, Mar 23, 5:31am
Dya feel lucky punk! DOOOYA!
(best dirty harry imitation)

fordluva, Mar 23, 5:37am
my gut feel exactly

tmenz, Mar 23, 5:41am
Perhaps you shouldn't have taken it up to 8000 and dropped that wheelie on the way in.

a.woodrow, Mar 23, 6:02am
Listen to that vtec scream yo

franc123, Mar 23, 6:04am
Haha yes had a similar scenario with an Opel Astra, was in for service and recommended a belt change after a quick look at both the odo reading and the label stuck to the belt cover, customer decided they'd bring it back the following week, belt stripped on way home.Would have been much cheaper to have left it where it was and taken the loaner home, overdue belts are a huge gamble at best.

dunwoody, Mar 23, 8:12pm
If you had not been told you would not have been worried about it and just driven home.

brokebloke1, Mar 23, 10:57pm
workshop where I use to work did a survey and most (60%) of cambelts broke either on start up or at lower engine speed and most were at about 150-180000kms GATES belts happen to be a better longer lasting belt.
In saying this we did a honda prelude 82 vetec new belt/waterpump etc.
customer drove out door did about 8kms we get a phone call to say car has stopped wont start etc.checked it out BROKEN CAMBELT !
Gates replaced all parts,and labour and no the valves didnt bend ,new belt later all good now

phillip.weston, Mar 24, 9:42am
pop the upper cover off and check the condition of the belt. that will tell you if its good enough to do the journey home. what engine!

dasfi, Mar 24, 10:10am
My last mitsy did 161 oncambelt, when i got it done they showed me the belt, didnt have much left in it,

fordluva, Mar 24, 8:35pm
1800cc 16 valve nz new, not sure on the exact engine model,