Bmw E46 330. Brakes.

toysky, Jul 3, 9:04am
When I wash car or its been raining my discs seem to develop a rust within 30 miss. They then squeak for 2 or 3 stops, then all good.

Why do they rust so quickly, can not recall this happening on a jappa

Cheers

budgel, Jul 3, 9:13am
I've never had that issue on my BMWs, perhaps they are aftermarket discs.
Years ago it was common for Euro bike discs to rust much quicker than Japper discs, but they gave better stopping power than the cosmetically cleaner Jap ones.
Squeaking can sometimes be cured by changing the brand of your pads.

clark20, Jul 3, 9:20am
Its all normal, steel discs rust.

djrandomguy, Jul 3, 11:30am
The rotors are intended from factory to be HC [high carbon] which most imported rotors are not, they'll be Chinese steel. High carbon rotors wear quicker and are dustier but they do one important thing cheap steel rotors do not, brake better, see they are meant to wear out with the pads and both rotor and pads are changed together, here in NZ we are still living in the world of just changing pads and machining rotors which is a hangover from the asbestos or 'soft' compound pad days.

bill-robinson, Jul 3, 7:45pm
#3  we have moved on with brake materials we now use cast iron brake rotors as steel did not have such a good coefficient of friction
these will get surface rust with water on them but it is not a problem

skull, Jul 3, 7:46pm
Toyski the rust on the disks is perfectly normal after a wash, it has always happened on all my various brand cars with disk brakes, including Jappas. If it worries you go for a trip around the block after you have washed it and the warm disk should evaporate any water on it and you'll see no rust. I can't explain the squeak though, mine don't. The rust after 30 minutes is pretty much only visual with almost no depth to it at all.

pauldw, Jul 3, 8:02pm
There does appear to be a high carbon type of cast iron disc but it doesn't behave as #4 describes.

tamarillo, Jul 3, 9:41pm
4 is correct though that BMW designs disc and pad to wear and then be replaced together. I used bendix discs which appeared to be as per original and were reasonable in price. The car had one change at 100,000 km (in Auckland, lady real estate agent, then the bendix discs and pads are still good at 250,000 km having been in Nelson and now at mates in golden bay.
Some people simply brake too much so everyone's mileage will be very different.

melonhead1, Jul 3, 10:01pm
Its just flash rust. Its a non issue.

elect70, Jul 4, 1:06am
Dont worry about it my BMW 328 s does same usually if havent driven it for week or so . . Just had them skimmed month ago & new pads , no difference .

toysky, Mar 28, 10:31am
Cool thank you all,its been for sale and still is on here.I just can not understand why I get not even a enquiry?