Price of engine work

jason_247, Jun 1, 2:11am
So ive got a spare engine for my car that iwant to give a freshen up to.
16v third gen 3sge.

its in really good nick so no cooling corrosion and hasnt been overheated to my knowledge.

If i tear it all down what would i expect to pay to have the bare head and block skimmed, checked for cracks etc. assmuing no extra work needs doing.

Also whats the value of having them acid dipped? or is this part of the service with a skim

intrade, Jun 1, 2:17am
my question is why would you want to strip it down, if there is nothing wrong with it ? it dont makes sense to me unless your forgetting to tell something here?

jason_247, Jun 1, 2:22am
2kcup racing. Hard on the engines and any factory available power helps, so if i can gain reliability from redoing the headgasket and bearing tolerances ill be happy, and if i gain a little lost power from new rings it would be great.

the car is also a day to day driver which is nearly due for a cambelt so if i do everything to this motor i can pop it all in with a weekend.

intrade, Jun 1, 2:32am
you dont skimm a head just for the sake of things because that makes higher compression and requires you to fit a different size gasket .
also i said this more then one time you dont just fit new rings in to a old boore, the boors are eggshaped and new rings are round. so it will piss past the rings afterwards not if but when .
if you want to do something this is what to do

check compression remove sump and inspect for bearing and piston pin play , on head check and adjust valve clarance , on side replace timing belt waterpump and oil-pump seal gasket .
That is about all you need to do .

intrade, Jun 1, 2:34am
while your at it answer my poll question a few steps down this board

jason_247, Jun 1, 3:16am
Thanks for taking the time to answer intrade but you didnt actually answer the question.

You are obviously making assumptions about me as you seem to be assuming i dont know much about engines.

You assume the engine is worn, its not. the bore is not egg shaped, its still within factory tolerances, same as bearings.

So back to post one, how much would it cost to skim the block and head, and how much would an acid dip be.

Anything past that and i will ask a qualified engine builder for advice thanks.

not saying you arent qualified but half the dickheads on forums claim to be qualified and have 40+ years experience when really they arent.

intrade, Jun 1, 3:45am
so explain to me how you know your boor is still round and within factory tollerance?
also why do you insist on wanting to skimm a head when there is nothing wrong?. and when i told you that skimming it causes compression problems unless you use a thicker gasket afterwards.
i am not accuasing you of anything i just tell you it makes no sense what so ever. of what you wanting to do, Talk to some engine rebuild places they either will tell you the same i just did or take your money and do what ever you want because money is money the more easy they make it the better. And then you come here complaining that your engine is now pinking after all your special work you did not need to have done to start with.
its counter productive to skim a head that has nothing wrong with it end of story.

skiff1, Jun 1, 8:12am
I dunno, probably your best t bet is to ask a machinist.

mrfxit, Jun 1, 8:45am
Is the head off & have you measured it for flatness & checked for water gallery corrosion?
Have you checked the block surface for flatness & corrosion?
Have you checked the valves AND valve guides for side wear?
Have you measured the cylinder bores?
Have you checked & measured the crank journals?
Have you had the pistons out to check & measure for wear? (skirts/little end & ring lands).

Why do you feel the block & head have to be skimmed?
Why do you feel the need to acid dip the block?
******************************-

Not being a smartarse by any means but it's a basic check list of what needs checking before a price can be settled on even close to what it could be.

saki, Jun 1, 8:47am
A freshen up will always help, light skim of the head would be a small bonus.

mrfxit, Jun 1, 8:51am
I am not a qualified machinist,. BUT I do have half of the 1st 40 years + rebuilding engines from new AND second hand parts/ full recons to total second hand rebuilds with nothing new 'anything' & never had any issues s/h.
I had a couple of issues with recond gear but that was from other ppl putting the parts in.

Boss's got niggly about me taking too much time doing engines but I was the only guy not having comebacks in the workshops.

mrfxit, Jun 1, 8:55am
The only time a skim is needed is if the surface is showing wear or corrosion.
Apart from needing the extra compression for a specific reason.
Going to cost the same for a light skim as a full skim & a light skim can go wrong real easy resulting in a full skim.

No need for thicker head gaskets on a basic light skim with a std petrol motor

wayned, Jun 1, 9:14am
$20 acid dip head
$40 head surface
$35 dip block
$50 block surface
$60 crack test block/bores
$50 pressure test head

Cleaning extra to surfacing, just normally get a compressed air blow.

These are approx from 5 years ago when I working at Engine Reconditioners

ceebee2, Jun 2, 1:08am
My reconditioner on the shore would charge me (trade) $175.00 for skim / clean / crack test.

elect70, Aug 12, 1:01am
Get the rods crack tested & shot peened , crank nitrided , get good quality pistons /rings & bearing set , hi volume oil pump , check all clearances be carefull if skimming block & head , do trial build to ensure piston /valve clearance . should last you at least a season racing