Will you ever drive an electric car?

Page 1 / 13
barrylarry, Dec 23, 7:56am
I dont own one, but im seriously thinking of getting one someday in the far future.

No oil changes, coolant, transmission fluids, spark plugs, cam belt \ chain, headgasket. etc, the list goes on

yeah the range issue and taking hours to charge is not so entising but im sure in time, we will get better ranges

tgray, Dec 23, 7:58am
I despise everything they stand for and would not drive one under any circumstances!
1. V8
2. GM
3. Petrol
4. 400+HP

The above are my minimum requirements.

Ps I am not joking.

mileyfan73, Dec 23, 8:01am
Would need to be at least 2000 km minimum range for me to even glance at one.

tony9, Dec 23, 8:09am
And what makes you think that an EV is not going to have just as many maintenance issues and failure points? They will be different, but they will be there.

tony9, Dec 23, 8:10am
So what do you use now that has over 2000 Km range?

barrylarry, Dec 23, 8:13am
I think the only serious maintenance issue with them as far as im aware off, is the batterys losing some range after a decade or so. but for the motor, it only has 2 moving parts. so i dont really think anything can go wrong for the reasonable life of the car

tony9, Dec 23, 8:14am
I used to like my wee beasties.

1. Rotary
2. English Electric
3. Water
4. 80,000+HP

franc123, Dec 23, 8:15am
When you can get a small-medium sized one brand new for $25k with a 10yr powertrain/HV system and battery warranty with at least a 500km range between charges (or charges while its driving), and the Govt comes clean about what levels of RUC will be charged long term I might look at it. The technology and the infrastructure to support them still needs a LOT of work, and once the petrol tax take starts dropping off, what happens once the majority of people are in EV's? If you think its going to cost a few cents worth of power for a few hundred km of driving, you're dreaming.

tweake, Dec 23, 8:19am
i would drive one if it had sufficient range and could handle a decent weight, ie must be able to tow.
for work a sort of hybrid ute would be really handy. we do a ton of very short drives eg 10m to 500m (thats meters!) range. so handy not to have to start up the engine every time.
i think there is a couple of hybrid big trucks in nz. be interested to hear how they are going.

lookoutas, Dec 23, 8:23am
I've been impressed by the ones I've driven.
Ideal for around town/work commuting etc.

Wouldn't buy a GM one, they'd probably look too much like a normal car for me :-)

barrylarry, Dec 23, 8:23am
it costs roughly 1/3 of what a petrol would use. thats not a bad deal, if you can cut your travel bills by as much as 2/3-rds.

with a 500km range, you dont need to worry about infrastucture. no one drives that far in a day, aside from couriers and whatnot. but it could be an issue if you want to go out-of-town

barrylarry, Dec 23, 8:25am
one of my gripes is EVs look too much like childrens toys. if they looked more like normal cars, that would prolly spurr more people to buy it

stevo2, Dec 23, 8:27am
Im quite surprised that they are concentrating on small cars that are economical to start with.
Why dont they try a van, The couriers and many companies would be rapt and there is so much wasted space under the floor that you could fit a HEAP of batteries under there to get a decent range. Charge up overnight and get a days deliveries done next day.
A lot of tradies could travel to work and charge up before going home at night.

caleb.b, Dec 23, 8:29am
The notion that they "only have one moving part" is a myth now days. The new battery packs have to be either heated in cold conditions and cooled when they get too hot. To heat the pack the Nissans and such actually have a reversible cycle ac unit/ Heat pump to warm or cool the water/coolant that is then pumped through the battery packs to keep them and an ideal operation temperature. For my normal day to day driving, I cant see why a Nissan Leaf would be a disadvantage at all. Once we have DC fast chargers in and around our cities, its really not going to be an issue. I think as Kiwi's we will always own a petrol powered wagon or SUV for towing the boat or taking the family away for the holidays. It makes sense in most families now to have one of each.

caleb.b, Dec 23, 8:30am
And Nissan do already sell a van with the same drive train as the Leaf. Already at least one here in NZ too! :)

lookoutas, Dec 23, 8:31am
Ya gotta read between the lines larry.

solarboy, Dec 23, 8:34am
See intrades link @ post 13 - it's been done.

bwg11, Dec 23, 8:35am
I detest the things too. BUT, unfortunately they will be the future. I can't imagine not having an exhaust note, just a "whir".

30 years ago, I couldn't believe I would be happy with an auto, but I am. Things change. The internal combustion engine will be history and I will mourn its passing.

You are correct, the Government will have to extract the same revenue from the motoring public as they do now, so don't expect the projected savings.

extrayda, Dec 23, 8:36am
Yes, if it had the range and was not ridiculously expensive.
I don't like small cars though. so would need to be a real sized vehicle.
I don't understand people who buy them new when they are very expensive - all fuel savings gone in advance.

tgray, Dec 23, 8:38am
The BMW I8 I was following today, is the one exception.

mileyfan73, Dec 23, 8:39am
Lol it takes 4 minutes to fill my car with gas. which last 550 kms average.A full recharge takes how long? 12 hours? To get a measly 400kms.

bwg11, Dec 23, 8:46am
So what, my car is in my garage now, sitting quietly doing nothing, why can't it be charging? I seldom do 400 kms in a day.

extrayda, Dec 23, 8:51am
They are interesting - saw one in West Auckland the other day (probably the same one. there can't be many around).

solarboy, Dec 23, 8:57am
I had a ride as passenger in a little Daihatsu that the local power board (remember them?) had back about 20 or more years ago. Sh!tload of lead-acid batteries made it very heavy but still took off impressively and that ride made my day. When Nissan announced a few years ago that the Leaf was coming and would sell for the same money as it's ICE equivalent I decided I'd break with my long standing tradition of never buying a new car - then they came in at $69,000 or so! I suspect very few, if any, sold at that and now they're down to under $40g with used import ones around half that but I still haven't bought one - yet. I have 2 petrol cars worth around $5000 - 6000 total and do about 4000 km (total) per year max. so I'd have to put up around $15,000 and sell both of those to get a gen. 1 Leaf and take years to pay that in saved petrol costs so the economics don't add up. But I've been driving cars and motorcycles for 50 years now - all ICE of course - and could now easily put all that behind me and move my motoring into the 21 st century so buggered if I know why I haven't !

seadubya, Dec 23, 9:01am
If I can get an 80% charge in 5 minutes, why not? As long as I can still get gas for a Sunday driver. http://myelectriccar.com.au/500km-charge-in-5-minutes/