Save money with an electric car they said.

Page 1 / 3
clark20, Nov 18, 6:22pm

tony9, Nov 18, 6:26pm
And those estimates don't include Road User Charges.

loud_37, Nov 18, 7:10pm
EV's will end up being like printers, the consumables will be bloody expensive.

toenail, Nov 18, 7:42pm
I really don't think people buy Telsa P100D or Model X performance to save money.

s_nz, Nov 18, 8:34pm
Its a bit of a red hearing. The vast majority of EV charging is done in the convenience of the owners garage. Some family members have owned EV (not tesla) for roughly a year & 15,000km. They have used DC charging once only. The cost of fast charging isn't so important if you only use it a handful of times a year.

Power at my place is about 17c/kWh, which works out well cheaper than the cost of petrol.

Note that is an Australian specific article. Not quite sure about the NZ cost for superchargers, but NZ has a much greater range of fast & slow charging than in Aussie. If you live in Auckland and don't value your time, you are welcome to fast charge your EV for free at one of the vector 50kW fast charging stations.

They are substantially lighter on consumables than petrol cars. If you are talking about the power, other than tesla supercharges, the fast charge networks arn't propitiatory, so competition should be expected longer therm. You are welcome to charge at home with any electricity provider (or even make your own if you want).

I hear the model S on 21's fair chews through tires though.

poppy62, Nov 18, 9:36pm
The strange thing is, that the almost all the (negative) noise about EVs is coming from ICE vehicle owners. I can't remember seeing a single complaint on here from an EV owner. The UK have just decided that there will be no more ICE vehicles from 2030. NZ will follow soon after (I reckon). One thing is for sure, is that the EVs will improve on all facets of motoring.

mrcat1, Nov 18, 9:43pm
Yeah reckon?
So I learnt a few days back that there's a EV charging station on the Taupo to Napier road in the middle of nowhere, and guess how it supplies power to EV, by diesel generator.
WTF is wrong with that picture?

poppy62, Nov 18, 10:22pm
Shows you how slow NZ works. Then again it also says that the cost of installing a charge station powered by Hydro/steam/solar/wind, is at present not cost effective due to the very few EVs that use that Highway. It will happen! just like the Takanini section of the Akl M/way did.

s_nz, Nov 19, 1:36am
Whats wrong is your statement that it is powered by a diesel generator.

There are two charging sations in remote areas on that route:

One near Rangitaiki lodge:

https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/384080.jpg The other at Te Haroto: https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/540028.jpg

Notice the power lines in the background of both photos. Don't know where you got the idea they ran off diesel generators from.

smallwoods, Nov 19, 7:35am
One at the Upper Mohaka bridge too?

Or was when we lived there.

Oops, just looked at the photo, the second one is Upper Mohaka, not Te Haroto, which is miles away towards Taupo.

Gotta love the first photo. Pumps removed and EV station installed.

lythande1, Nov 19, 7:59am
Will be? Already is.

bill-robinson, Nov 19, 8:21am
and the EV gurus get their way by govt decree as in the UK, freedom of choice, such a wonderful thing.

intrade, Nov 19, 8:38am
well we cull animals as far as i know as they destroy there enviroment.
we are 99. something arangotan so why not cull the homosapians to make it sustainable. Or you could stop breeding like rats. as another option.

s_nz, Nov 19, 1:08pm
Cheers. I am not that failure with the area. Photos are lifted from here: https://www.plugshare.com/

I guessed the name from of the location from google maps. It shows Te Haroto as less than 2km away.

apollo11, Nov 19, 1:32pm
Google 'The Great Reset'. The self-appointed elites have decided that lots of change will be coming everyone's way, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's decreed that your privilege of owning and driving your own car is environmentally unaffordable. And then they will go after your sausages too.

gubay, Nov 19, 2:03pm
Which EV is capable of towing my caravan anywhere other than shops and back ?

gubay, Nov 19, 2:07pm

bill-robinson, Nov 19, 3:03pm
not a different type of pollution then. CO2 that comes from burning things, fuel included helps plant growth. with ev,s less CO2 more rubbish to hide and less plant growth. you know it makes sense.

mcfc11, Nov 19, 3:05pm
They said no more NEW ice cars, A bit different!

bill-robinson, Nov 19, 3:15pm
both would be best.for those that want to live freely.

tygertung, Nov 19, 3:26pm
The dead batteries have commercial value, therefore there must be a way of recycling them otherwise they wouldn't have any value.

gazzat22, Nov 19, 3:58pm
If things go as the high priests of EV,s say there will be a massive surplus of used/us EV batteries and you will have to pay for someone to take them away. They may end up as used tyres are now ,dumped on the side of the road or as is now a bit like Nuclear waste which no one wants.

gazzat22, Nov 19, 4:02pm
Well if you bought an EV and it wasnt satisfactory you would be very quiet lest you look like a Big Girls Blouse.!

clark20, Nov 19, 4:20pm
I did not do anything like that. Some may be faster , so are many Audis, Porsches and BMWs. I just don't like them, and you seem to take offence with that.

nice_lady, Nov 19, 6:45pm
From what I read they don't 'recycle' them they can however reuse them. In houses as battery storage for solar power collector systems. BUT of course they're still going to deteriorate to the point of being unusable sometime. What then ?