Advice on 7/8 seater

kowhai19, May 4, 2:56am
Budget up to $8 k - looking at Toyota Ipsum or similar. Wanting 2L or 2.3L. All advice on which direction to go would be appreciated,. Thanks

msigg, May 4, 5:36am
Yes you can't go wrong with the ipsum, if that's what you want, as with everything the cooling system is the thing that will stuff it and any other vehicle out there,always get cooling systems flushed, checked and new coolant/corrosion inhibitor.

thejazzpianoma, May 4, 6:47am
VW Touran, much better on fuel, nicer to drive, better equipment just better all round than the Ipsum.

If by fluke you can afford the later 1.4 version (as opposed to the 2l earlier one) don't be put off by the CC rating. It's going to be quicker than most if not all 2l people movers and even 2.5 litre ones.

That's the difference between a modern efficient engine and an out of date one. The 1.4 also uses not far off half the fuel some of the other options do, that's a BIG difference.

extrayda, May 4, 9:48am
Here's my standard response (I'm the Jazz of Estima's !).
If you want proper 7 / 8 seaters for children that are not short (or want to keep the vehicle for quite a while) then the best option I found was the Toyota Estima. Ipsums are good, but not very big. I have two of the 2000 model estimas (FWD, not the first RWD shape). They are a pretty basic car, 2.4 litres, based on Camry platform I think. So far they have been good (covered about 50,000ks between them with only normal servicing required). The only catch with them is that only 6 of the seats have proper full seatbelts, the middle two seats are lap only, which I don't like to use (and to be honest, the one thing about the car that I consider a bit cruddy). I don't know if the newer shape estimas have proper belts on all 8 seats.
We have a family of 6, so the extra seats are rarely used. If you were going to be using the 7th and 8th seats anything other than rarely I'd have a look at the later model for poper belts,

tamarillo, May 4, 10:37am
Estima, or even better wide bodied export version Previa as sold new here.
Should be travellers selling up cheap.

kazbanz, May 4, 8:40pm
In the Ipsum size /type vehicle you have a few choices.
Ipsum of course 6 or 7 seater versions. -mechanically a camry normal doors ok boot space, seats are comfortable reasonable legroom
Seats do fold into the floor to create a roomy station wagon when needed.
Toyota Estima/previa 2000-2004 -mechanically same as the ipsum
sliding rear doors. 7 or 8 seater versions available. Lots or room inside as long as the seats are slid right back.seats can be slid far forward reducing legroom but increasing legroom. front seats not as comfortable as ipsum.
Nissan presage--sliding side doors 2.5l normal auto transmission.
8 seater . -rear seats fold flat creating a huge amount of space.
comfortable as a 7 seater but as an 8 seater the middle row passengers are quite cramped.
mazda MPV--almost the same as the Presage. but 2.3l slightly taller inside and in your price bracket 7 seater only
Which would I choose? any of them to be honest
Fuel economy between them all is only about $200 a year different
My decision would be based on how much time the car spends in carparks.--sounds silly but sliding doors in carparks are a godsend.
if you are a city person then

thejazzpianoma, May 5, 3:25am
Be very weary of the Nissan Pressage, especially the earlier cheaper ones in your price range. The 2.5 is was a serious design failure, they did manage to make some changes later which solved the problems to some degree. However catastrophic engine failure is not at all uncommon, some of those engines were replaced multiple times under warranty in the same vehicle even.

Also a horrible vehicle to drive on the open road IMO.

If considering the Mazda, look very very carefully for rust, including underneath etc. It's crazy that we should need to do that in this day and age but unfortunately with Mazda's and Nissan's of the era that seems to be how it is. A shame as the Mazda is a lot better than some of the other options otherwise.

poppajn, May 5, 4:00am
I'd go for a VW Kombi

kowhai19, May 7, 10:48pm
Thx for advice :)

kowhai19, Feb 9, 12:46am
Advice appreciated :)