Mk X oil and colant

tamarillo, Apr 8, 9:53pm
What would people use on a 2.5 mk X Toyota 2005?

Colant is red but low. I have green Type A as 2108-2004. Is that okay or is this some special stuff?

Oil recommended grade? Usually I use good Castrol blend, not pure synthetic. Is there any special oils these lexus v6 engines need?

Is a repossession I bought so no records for what's been used. And no manual.

Anyone changed the display over to a nz head unit, thinking it is a double din.

Any advice appreciated.

intrade, Apr 8, 10:01pm
dont put some crap in the cooling system this car is new when it comes to problems its about on the same level for problems as 90s mitsubishi if you use wrong stuff it will do extreem expensive poos on you.
you must use correct engine oil as per manufacturer so its basically depending what engine it has fitted .
red coolant is usually mutch higher grade then green coolant even do you cant go by colour allone.
start with posting what engine code it has and i personally would not pay more then 1500$ for a repo car my self as you can be sure it was never serviced .

intrade, Apr 8, 10:05pm
Change of head unit only use correct converter plugs what ever you do do not cut any wiring it will have can data bus most likely on the radio, you can read what could happen in the mitsubishi thread ,

petal_91, Apr 8, 10:20pm
Red coolant would be Toyota Long Life Coolant (LLC). Pink coolant is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) which superceded it. A switch to pink coolant on an older Toyota should be okay following a drain and flush of the old fluid.

kimbo88, Apr 9, 2:14am
The engine on those is the 4GR-FSE. As petal_91 says above I would go with the proper long life coolant that they came out with originally, but it's probably overdue for a total cleanout and flush before putting the new coolant in. I wouldn't use the shorter life green coolant, apart from the fact that you have to change it more often they are a newer design and more suited to using the SLLC. Dearer but better.

kimbo88, Apr 9, 2:20am
Note for Tamarillo - do NOT use 91 petrol in it - they have a high compression ratio and are meant to be run on 98 octane - 95 is OK but 98 is preferable and is the manufacturer's recommendation. They will run on 91 in an emergency only, but are not designed to be run on it in normal operation.

tamarillo, Apr 9, 2:23am
Ok thanks. Will research if conversion wiring ect is available and if not will hand over to an expert. I have learnt not to tackle wiring stuff unless I am very sure it is simple plug in adaptor and it is done before. Electrics are magic!
Luckily it has service stickers so am happy on that, but no mention of what oil was used. Online mostly see 5/40 recommended though I see that the Lexus IS 250 with same engine is 5/30. Any advantage to using 5/40 over 5/30? Nelson isn't exactly tropical.
Thanks for help people.

tamarillo, Apr 9, 2:24am
Thanks so much. Only 95 down in nelson but will stick to that.

tamarillo, Apr 9, 2:25am
Thanks, is this a Toyota dealer supply or will auto shop have equivalent. Will do flush and change it.

kimbo88, Apr 9, 2:37am
I would go with the Toyota supplied stuff - probably not a huge cost difference and with the modern alloy engines the last thing you want is head gasket/coolant issues.

petal_91, Apr 9, 3:33am
Nulon Red Long Life coolant might be worth a look. Compatible with Toyota pink Super Long Life.
http://www.nulon.com.au/support/specifications-list/25/

tamarillo, Apr 9, 4:02am
Great thanks.

subarist, Apr 9, 6:41am
Owner's manual recommends 5W-20 (for best fuel economy) or 5W-30. Toyota/Lexus in the US strongly recommends synthetic oil to minimise the risk of carbon build up or oil sludge issues on these engines. Changed the oil and filter on mine on the weekend, much easier than I anticipated.

tamarillo, Apr 10, 1:48am
Do you have an owners manual? Assume in Japanese? Even so is there any chance you'd let me borrow it to copy some relevant pages, I have a Japanese friend who can translate bits. Would pay all postage costs!

Oh and thanks for advice, will get the good oil 5/30. Can get ryco air and oil filter locally, what did you use?

Have you changed the stereo unit over?

subarist, Mar 20, 5:51pm
Yes I have the Japanese owner's manual. Which pages did you want? Can also translate if required.

I used genuine Toyota filters ex Japan, so not sure what they cost here. Have kept the original stereo, as I can read Japanese and know how it all works.