Disabling chimes in a 04 Legacy

_peas, Mar 9, 1:00am
Just purchased a 2004 3.0R Legacy. It has an annoying chime that tells you that the key in is the ignition and the drivers door is open. There is a plug that disables the chime located on the ignition barrel. It has four wires, two grey and two red. Unfortunately disconnecting this plug locks the auto trans into park as it thinks there is no key in the ignition. Does anyone know if it is the grey or red wires that control the chime or an integration of all four? I have tried getting in there with some speaker cable to bridge one pair at a time but its pretty tight and the results thus far. inconclusive. Someone must have been through this before me, surely.

jason_247, Mar 9, 1:19am
im not sure about the chimes but the four wires on that plug may also be the chip reader for the smart key?

bigfatmat1, Mar 9, 1:27am
Find the beeper probably on the bcm and either unsolder it from circuit board. If this affects the bcm operation fill the speaker full of rtv.

_peas, Mar 9, 1:33am
The typical solution for a manual version is to just unplug it so I don't think that the plug is related to the smart key. Nice caution though. never even thought about that.

I have located a rather important looking black box strapped to the steering column which emits the noise from within. I'm not too keen on cracking into it as there are no obvious methods to open it by way of usual clips etc.

lookoutas, Mar 9, 2:09am
It's to let you know that the key is still in the ignition if you happen to be getting out.
What's wrong with that?

Just about all modern vehicles have this feature. And many older ones as well.
I know it's bloody annoying whilst working on one, and you need the door open. But it's not hard to pull the key out and chuck it on the floor.

gsimpson, Mar 9, 2:17am
Surely it is unnecessary as you would notice the lack of a key in your hand when locking car?

Anyway do most modern cars not have menus to turn these things off if desired?

_peas, Mar 9, 2:22am
I know when the key is in the ignition because I put it in there. While I'm working on car or cleaning it or at the beach/park I usually have the stereo going/door open/bonnet up and the chiming doesn't even try to keep time with what's on the radio. The old Caldina had a similar plug on the ign barrel which had no affect on the auto trans when disconnected. I seem to see a lot of Mitsubishi Electric stamped on the Subaru bits. a little worrying.

bigfatmat1, Mar 9, 2:27am
wrap foam and tape round the box until you cannot hear it

dublo, Mar 10, 4:40am
These things are bl**dy annoying, glad not on our modern (1999 Accord) car. And auto transmission cars which won't let you remove the key unless Park is selected. (We use the handbrake, and only select P if parked on a hill, just as with manual gearbox cars. If someone hits your car from front or behind and Park is selected, that can be bad, expensive news for the transmission.)

lookoutas, Mar 10, 5:24am
Did some work on a Hi-Lux last week, and the owners daughter brought it back in today saying the seat-belt warning is going again.

Huh - what's wrong with that?

The owner is a contractor, and is often moving his ute very short distances where having to fit the seat-belt is a pain. So he got the dealer to de-program the warning beeper.
Our spiker was in use on another vehicle, so I had disconnected the battery to weld up a bullet hole in the A pillar, but it makes sense that it must have returned to default when the battery was re-connected.

Perhaps a dealer can do this to the door beeper on a Subaru?
Might take a bit of convincing to get them to do it.

Might also make sense to just put the windows down and leave the doors closed, if you wanta play sounds.
Glad you don't live near me!

_peas, Mar 10, 8:23am
You can do the seatbelt beeps yourself in the Legacy just not the key in ign it seems. I wouldn't worry bout noise. Its all factory stereo and I'm not the obnoxious type to inflict my musical taste on the general public. I might have to have another look at the black box then.

trogedon, Mar 10, 8:42am
Take the appropriate weight off or don't wind that side. Oh, a car not a clock.

sleuth, Mar 11, 6:42am
Had the same issue with my Toyota Fielder. So annoying. Checked with Toyota to see if there was a software solution, they had no suggestions. Someone on the message boards suggested disconnecting the door light switch. It has worked but has a couple of downsides that I'm prepared to live with. The drivers door courtesy light now doesn't operate, and the door not closed warning doesn't work. Probably the most annoying is that if the door unlocks on the proximity remote function and is left open, it relocks the door after a minute as it thinks the door is closed. Could be a problem if the keys are inside and you close the door. If I could find the beeper I would happily fill it with silicone.

mack77, Mar 12, 9:43am
I fully sympathise with you "_peas"; all that beeping is dam annoying. After debeeperising (yes a new word) my JDM Honda Odyssey I find that it I am much more relaxed operating this car now. It just showed me how much stress all that beeping was causing me.
It wasn't such a difficult job to debeeperise my previous Toyota Carib but the Odyssey was much more of a challenge. I wasn't even able to find the source of the beeping so to solve the problem I bought a copy of the genuine Odyssey Electrical Workshop Manual which turned out to have more pages than the Mechanical Workshop Manual. After a few hours work I managed to get rid of the three beeps I didn't require: key in ign./door open, key in ign./seatbelt not on, and reversing chimes. I left "lights on/door open" tone as this is handy. I should mention that I do have an electronic/electrical etc background but without that electrical manual for the Odyssey I just couldn't make any headway. Every car is different it seems.
I also removed the beeper from my microwave oven as I can hear when it stops; I don't need a beeper to tell me. Next to do is the washing machine.

sleuth, Mar 12, 10:04am
mack77 are you able to tell in laymans terms what you had to do to debeeperise. Sort of happy to play with electrics but not confident with the electronic side of things.

mack77, Mar 14, 9:44am
As I mentioned in my previous post, every car is different so I don't expect any of the modifications I made to my 1995 Honda Odyssey to solve the beeping problem will apply to your car. The first thing I did was look at the wiring diagrams in my manual to determine how each circuit operated.
1. Key in ign./door open. Remove (cut) the blue/white wire on pin 13 of C410 (C means connector). This removes the E (E means earth) signal from the ignition switch.
2. Seat belt not on/ key in ign. Remove (cut) the red/blue wire on pin 14 of C410. This removes the E signal from the seat belt switch. This switch is located in the drivers LH seat belt stalk.
3. Reverse chimes (interior). To a avoid cutting another wire I unplugged C410 which only has four wires, two of which I have already cut as described and one on pin 16 (from reverse relay or switch) and a fourth one not shown on my manuals wiring diagram and for some unknown purpose. However, I have noticed no ill effects of having taken pin 16 out of action. This problem came about due to the fact that my Honda Electrical Manual of 261 pages was printed by American Honda Motor Company Inc. for Odyssey's made for the US market and yes I had to buy the manual from the USA.
As you can see from the above, in retrospect I could have simply removed C410 and cured all of the beeping problems.
C410 is one of many connectors that is plugged into a "black box" full of electronics that is called the "Integrated Control Unit". It has many functions.
I am sure that the above won't be of much if any help to you other than to describe one general method of tackling the problem. Unfortunately I don't know any other method. Maybe somebody else does?
If I couldn't have solved my problems I would have had to get rid of the car and get one that wasn't full of beeps.
I hope that I have been a little help to you, so please get back to me if I can be of any further help.

sleuth, Mar 14, 11:06am
Thanks for your answer mack777.
From what I am reading in your post, most of the offending circuits are livened with the ignition and are activated by making an earth. Without realizing in my case, disconnecting the door switch (which is an earth switch) I have done sort of what you did. Unfortunately has taken out other warnings/functions as well (door not closed and auto lock).
I can see that a wiring diagram or electrical manual is needed to disable individual circuits further back in the loom or get to an "Integrated Control Unit" if the Fielder has one. The key read sensor is the greatest worry. Ideally just replacing the beeper with a suitable resistor would be the best solution but I just can??

_peas, Mar 15, 1:42am
My Caldina was very straightforward. Remove the steering column mouldings (2 screws from memory) and unplug a small white plug on the end of the ignition barrel. Reassemble and enjoy your car not treating you like a retard. I was going to have a crack at getting into the black box this weekend but the weather will conspire against me I think. Garage not built yet.

supernova2, Apr 29, 9:55am
If the ding dong systems triggers from the door light switch then just wire a manual switch into the door light wire. Turn the switch off to break the circuit when you want to leave the doors open. Turn it back on when you want the lights, auto lock and anything else to work. Cost $5 time 10 mins. Fixed.