Mechanics Hourly Rates?

Page 1 / 2
toolwarehouse, May 18, 5:12am
Thats actually lower end for a lawyer

gsimpson, May 18, 6:11am
He rakes it in with tithing in the multi millions these days.

market1, May 18, 6:18am
I'm currently in the uk, mechanic charge out rate is £100 per hour.

lookoutas, May 18, 6:25am
Jeez - ya had to chase the mason-bees out of that one!

anne1955, May 18, 6:34am
And what about the p****s that see a female alone and raise there prices and yes they do I have proved this. sadly. and warrant places that do similar and then say "I know someone that will do that at a good price for you" Even had one do that and then say "Tell them you are my Mother" Yes and that was last warrant. And have had so much of it over last 20 years of being alone you would be amazed. Maybe if I was young and pretty lol No actually probably why when I was I got better deals.
I am over it. We need more female mechanic's well some in each city.

zephyrheaven, May 18, 6:54am
Holy Thread Dredge!?!

I have quite a large number of middle aged women come to us at work, its scary looking through some of their prior invoices - I never name & shame but $900 to replace a starter motor on a Nissan Wingroad last month for one unlucky lady was beyond belief - 2wd couldnt be easier but 4 hours labour?

There are some sharks out there

franc123, May 18, 7:18am
Rogue repair outfits have always been around but the amount of GBI (that's grievous bodily invoicing) I've seen particularly from smaller places has ramped up in the last year or so, some of them MUST be suffering now that a 9 year and growing chunk of the fleet is now only in once a year for the WoF, and most cars in average use only require annual service, it hasn't affected franchise dealerships who are mostly dealing with under 8yo cars and having to re WOF cars on the yard all the time by nearly as much as the little guys. It sure as hell pays to ask around who charges what and stick with well established outfits you trust.

zephyrheaven, May 18, 7:24am
I was waiting for a slow period in wofs but it doesnt seem to have kicked in for me yet? Still chopping through them - the bloody stationary (stickers) are hell of a dear now tho!
We have been very steady this year, touch wood it continues

caleb.b, May 18, 7:49am
Jeff Grey BMW here in CHCH charge out at $160 an hour inclusive for their "Technicians"

franc123, May 18, 8:00am
That's the price you pay for specially trained staff with access to manufacturers information and known fixes in metropolitan areas who work on high end product, you don't get that anywhere else, especially on late model cars. Its often more cost effective to do that than use someone else who will take twice or three times as long to fix something, if they can fix it at all. The public better start getting used to it.

joanie04, May 18, 8:29am
I'd rather pay a bit more when my older car is serviced for a more thorough going over than what the mere males gets. His service was basically, oil, filter, plugs and checking power steering fluid. I pay a flat rate for an express service 28 point inspection check. A bit like a WOF check but more.

zephyrheaven, Oct 8, 5:26am
We are still (I think) at the lower ebb of the market at $69+ per hour, if you have seen lease prices in Chch lately you would be wondering how anyone survives?
I would like to know what anyone else is charging or paying around NZ even?

Had a client with 5 (count them) vehicles he calls a fleet quibbling that I am too dear and the guy that comes in his VAN to repair his equipment at HIS work is only $50+ an hour - I guess VAN guy doesnt have a large lease / power / phone / eftpos / merchant fees / et al to worry about

Ive told him to have a ring around & see how he goes because a new client with 23 fleet vehicles is overjoyed with our workmanship & labour rate?

Hmmmm

bwg11, Oct 8, 5:38am
I paid $82.61 + GST/hour for an outboard service in Christchurch today. I consider this an acceptable figure.

EDIT: Just spelling.

carstauranga001, Oct 8, 5:45am
I think ou are too low ZH, I suggest you rise the price but don't shock your existing clients by going too high too soon. Maybe go to $74 now and $79 in a bout six months. I think you'll find franchises up around $100 hr now so you will still be competitive. And those who don't want to pay are probably clients you don't need. Provide top quality service to those who pay on time and don't moan and they will come back. They will hopefully tell their friends too.

berg, Oct 8, 6:05am
One of our local (Wgtn) motorbike dealers $142 +gst per hour. Complete robbery

lookoutas, Oct 8, 6:31am
Jeez - don't get me started on this zeph. You wanta try and work for panelbeaters rates from Insurance Co's.
One is still only paying $46. The next lowest is $55. IAG start off at $59, and go to $68, plus a bit more for arse wipers, and a bit more for super arse wipers.

About as much help to you as our rates are to us tho.

mrsglaucoma11, Oct 8, 6:33am
Winger here in Cromwell $87.00+. Wingers in Queenstown $135.00+
My garage I use is $70+.

supertech1, Oct 8, 6:48am

Jesus!

rovercitroen, Oct 8, 6:48am
OP - I would say you are on the lower end of hourly rate. I was just searching for a receipt for my mechanic in Hamilton but can't find it quickly. I think they are about $75 + GST. Some of the dealers that I have used are over $100 + now. No matter how little you charge someone will moan about it!

rovercitroen, Oct 8, 6:53am
BTW I used a lawyer recently that was $380/hr + GST. My accountant charges out at $120/hr + I think.

mokaubach, Oct 8, 7:12am
Vote with your feet

llortmt, Oct 8, 7:17am
$60+gst an hour here in Napier.

berg, Oct 8, 8:08am
Mechanic by trade so I do all my own servicing. Receipt for work came with the bike

dansue, Oct 8, 8:25am
$70+gst per hour here in Taranaki (tractor mechanic own business) Local dealers I have heard are $95 ish.We have way more work than we can handle all the time year round.

alfred011, Oct 8, 9:42am
$65 + GST per hour for A Grade automotive engineer with trade cert extension LPG/CNG fitting and servicing 36 years experience not a franchise parts fitter oil changer.