To sell or not to sell my wagon for a smaller car

paulap, Jul 21, 12:19am
Now that I have no dog, my last child is about to move out of home and I am on my own in the car most of the time. While I love the wagon for it's space, I can chuck anything in it and it gets along the road OK I really only need a smaller car just for me that doesn't get through as much petrol.
With this car I know it inside and out as I have had it for 7 years. With a new car who knows what problems it may have.
If I downsize I want something that gets along the road ok, doesn't suck up the petrol and it reasonably priced for parts etc.

mike107, Jul 21, 12:26am
We have a 1500cc Lancer wagon and is very good on Gas.

brapbrap8, Jul 21, 12:27am
What sort of car do you have at the moment?
And what sort of driving do you mostly do?
You may find there is not much difference in fuel economy between a large car and a smaller car for mostly open road driving, but if you are mostly in town then a car with a smaller engine could definetly be cheaper to run.

paulap, Jul 21, 12:29am
vz commodore
Most of my driving is on open roads but lots of windy ones. Probably about 70% open road driving.

franc123, Jul 21, 12:41am
After trying some midsize wagons under the same conditions you might find you prefer the Holden. Realistically going down to say an Atenza or Mondeo.size car isn't going to save much if any fuel and you will be without the lazy overtaking and towing ability should you need it. A Subaru Outback could fit the bill a bit better but any fuel savings won't be there. Consider the cost vs benefit thing very carefully.

brapbrap8, Jul 21, 12:42am
Certainly could save a bit of fuel if you went to something like a 2L car then.
Going any smaller usually won't save you much as the engine will be working harder to make the power needed for open road driving.
Other thing is you may feel a bit claustrophobic if you went straight from the Commodore to a tiny car.

Other savings in having a smaller car are that smaller tyres cost quite a bit less, which is worth thinking about when you drive roads with lots of corners that wear tyres out quicker than normal.

paulap, Jul 21, 4:48am
Yip I do go through a lot of tyres from all the cornering. I pay about $140 a tyre at the moment though. And they seem as good as the $300 ones I used to put on it.

brapbrap8, Jul 21, 4:55am
Okay you will struggle to get tyres cheaper than that then, even in smaller sizes.
A lighter car will be easier on tyres and make them last longer if they are driven the same and have the same wheel alignment and pressures though.

msigg, Jul 21, 5:47am
remember you will loose money on the comm and pay extra on the new car, so saving won't kick in for at least a couple of years. The comm will keep on going and be good in a crash. Flip side is life as you know it is moving on so if you can afford a nice newer car then go for it, it will make you happy for a while. A good medium sized car/nice and smooth, happy motoring.

kazbanz, Jul 21, 9:15am
To be honest if mostly country driving I can't see much benefit in downsizing. The savings in fuel will be outweighed by the cost of initial purchase. At least for something decent.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 9:33am
What would be your budget for the new car?
Do you know how many l/100km you are getting out of the Commodore?

trogedon, Jul 21, 9:42am
Buy a smaller car.

edangus, Jul 21, 9:43am
Drive it till it dies.

trogedon, Jul 21, 9:44am
It won't take long.

melonhead1, Jul 21, 10:15am
Get an XR6.

sr2, Jul 21, 12:07pm
+1; You're being given some very good advice here.

paulap, Jul 26, 7:33pm
Thanks guys. Great advice. Will probably hang onto the wagon for now.

tamarillo, Dec 24, 2:24am
Keep it. As you say you'll buy into others problems, and unless you go to a new or near new smaller car you'll not gain a lot of gas savings. But that requires more money.