Nissan Terrano - 2.7, 3 or 3.2L for towing caravan

taggerung, Feb 3, 8:54am
Hi Guys,
I'm thinking of getting a Nissan Terrano for towing a caravan?
I've read that the 3.0L options are no good. Is the 3.0L Manual vs having the Auto any better?
They appear to only be Autos in the 2.7 and 3.2 L variations. Are these transmissions reliable?
Any other reliability issues associated with the vehicles?
Which one would be better suited to towing a caravan, say 14-17 foot?

Thanks in advance

monaro17, Feb 3, 9:00am
Depending on the age of the one you are talking about the 3.0 could be a V6 petrol (really gutless and thirsty) or the 3.0 neo diesel which while being quite a powerful vehicle can be very very troublesome.

The the 2.7 is bullet proof but in reality is down on power.

The 3.2 is the pick of the bunch, easily the best riding, the fastest, and one of the if not the most powerful cars of it's type of the era. It is also quite economical for its age.
Transmissions were fine just make sure you fit a trans cooler and give it a service.

Easily the 3.2 is the best (Ive owned a 2.7, a 3.2, and a 3.0neoDI)

taggerung, Feb 3, 9:16am
Thanks for the info in regard to the different engines.
Did you have any thoughts about whether I buy an auto or manual? Is there positives or negatives in regard to either?

monaro17, Feb 3, 9:20am
towing- go for the auto. (very uncommon to find any one of those engines except the early 2.7 and 3.0V6 with manuals anyway)

Definitely the 3.2 Auto. It is 'only' a 4 speed auto (mainstream for the time) but it never seems lacking.
At the time I had my 3.2 version I towed a 16ft tandem (around 1550kg loaded) and it towed really well. Easily sat at 90-100km/h and could quickly get up a little more to pass if needed.

franc123, Feb 3, 9:24am
Definitely get the 3.2, they are good tow vehicles providing you dont ask too much of them, the only real problem is wear in the electronic injector pumps, this can cost several K to sort out properly. They must have regular fuel filter changes and the auto will need good cooling and service too. Expect to have to do the rear axle locating bushes if not done already, they're a soft bush to start with and towing shortens their life further. Shocks and brake hydraulics needing overhaul are also commonly needed these days.

realtrader1, Feb 3, 9:46am
So, is the 3.2 you recommend petrol or Diesel because I thought I had seen both petrol and diesel 3.2's? I may be wrong?

taggerung, Feb 3, 10:32am
Thanks alot for the advice guys. It really narrows down the number of vehicles to investigate.

franc123, Feb 3, 11:11am
Nope 3.2 is a 4cyl diesel known as the QD32, it was basically an update of the legendary TD27 unit which was one of the most robust Jap diesels of that size of its time, these would be the most common versions here. R50 Terrano models can also be had with 3.3 or later on 3.5 petrol V6 which are VQ33 and 35. The engines themselves are all good units, some of the fuelly bits and sparky bits hung on them aren't quite so good.

bwg11, Feb 4, 7:16am
I had a TD27 Terrano back in the nineties. Great vehicle but very marginal power for towing, the auto needed rebuilding a 137k they are not recognised as a strong box and unfortunately the rare manual box is not much better. But in its favour, apart from tyres, brake pads and regular oil and filter changes didn't spend another cent on it in the 100k I owned it.

Woops. Forgot, the auto hubs are hopeless, fitting manuals is mandatory if you go off-road.

twincam1, Feb 4, 7:24am
Get an ISUZU MU, far superior engine, 3.1 turbo diesel.

monaro17, Feb 4, 7:46am
Superior to a TD27 yes but certainly not the QD32ETI, not by a very long shot.

mram, Feb 4, 7:04pm
Really!?! if you had said the 2.8 Isuzu but not the turd 3.1

nzangel1, Feb 6, 3:13am
05 Holden Rodeo 3.0 Diesel,plenty of torque not so much on highway speed though.

pete48, Jul 5, 10:47am
If looking at Terrano auto, get an aftermarket trans cooler fitted. At around $250, a lot cheaper than a trans overhaul