Nissan Terrano. Just looking at info on them had a auto and the only prolem i had was the gearbox is there any other problems wi

fish_n_doodles, Jun 11, 6:12am
Just looking at info on them,
Had a auto and the only prolem i had was the gearbox, is there any other problems with the manual 1s!
What about with high ks!

mugenb20b, Jun 11, 6:14am
What year!

fish_n_doodles, Jun 11, 6:17am

mugenb20b, Jun 11, 6:22am
Early Terrano manual gearboxes are not very strong, 5th gear usually plays up. It pays to go easy on the gear changes and replace gearbox oil every couple of years.

fish_n_doodles, Jun 11, 6:25am
Thanks
I did hear that and its good to have some confirmation.
Would have been good if they used good gearboxes

intrade, Jun 11, 6:27am
91 gearbox as well they are soft as butter dont tow with it . my advise is stay away from them. rust in rear floor was also a issue on terranos of that age.

mugenb20b, Jun 11, 6:43am
Yes, I agree, they even have weak steering components too and lower ground clearance that the same year Hilux Surf.

brodie64, Jun 11, 7:07am
I had one for over 2 years. 1991 Diesel turbo manual. Gear box was stuffed when I got it but put another one in and never had another problem other than the alternator stuffed out (also a common problem but at least the price of those has come right down compared to what they used to be a few years back). As for towing, I towed my caravan all over the north island from Wellington, to Gissy, even up to Dargaville. Over heated the motor really bad on the Napier/Taupo road. Just let it cool down and off we went again. Turbo was boosting the whole time when towing but never let me down once. Was a bit guttless but did the job. And it pretty much got thrashed the whole time I had it including off road a bit too and never broke anything. Had it air bourne, stuck on the beach, up snowy mountains, through rivers and up hill climbs that Safari's didnt make it up and I had lowered mine as it was on the road 99% of the time. I rate these wagons as a good all round truck and a lot cheaper than a Hilux. Also no cam belt to worry about or even a cam chain.
As for rust under the back seats, it does happen a lot but at least its easy to pull them up and have a look.

franc123, May 30, 4:59pm
neither the manual or auto gearboxes had good reputations in those, weak bearings were a common problem.A real tragedy given the TD series engines in front of them were the best Jap diesels of their size available at that time, they were miles ahead of the Mitsi, Mazda, Isuzu and Toyota (yes its true)equivalents in terms of long term reliability.
One of the better ways I've seen to get around the floorpan/seatbelt rust problem is to get rid of the offending floorpan completely!And the roof and seats above it and the rear compartment, weld the rear cab wall of a D21 "Datsun ute" or Navara onto it behind the front seats and fit a tray and taillights of your choice.Hey presto, a 4x4 flatdeck turbodiesel ute with power steer, power mirrors, power windows, aircon, comfy seats, automatic, sunroof, and more comfortable riding coil springs in the back, for not a lot of money. Not too hard to get certed either.