Plastic Top on Mazda

johnhb, Dec 19, 2:06am
Paid to have an expensive plastic top put on an MX5 but. just when we need it- can't get it to go on- i.e. being plastic, of course it won't stretch like a more expensive leather top might.! This seems to be an accepted fact of life among MX5 owners, but- it occurred to me that this probably wouldn't happen with a LEATHER (and therefore prohibitively expensive) top. Suggestions made include putting the heater on, leaving it in the sun (what sun!?), pouring hot water over it, etc. etc. etc. but does anyone have any suggestions as to the right way to use the top so that it can be done up?

franc123, Dec 19, 2:11am
If it doesn't fit properly, get your money back! Unless it clearly states that it needs to be modified to allow for variations between cars and instructions are provided to do this then its not fit for purpose then is it?

supernova2, Dec 19, 2:41am
Some of these things need to be stretched to fit. Use something like a load binder to pull it into place - very slowly.

Mind you if you paid to have it fitted whoever fitted the thing should have done all that.

Take it back and ask them to fix it!

pandai, Dec 19, 2:43am
Vinyl soft top?

Wait for the sun to soften it up, but yes it will be pretty tight, have the same problem with our soft top BMW every summer when we take the hard top off. Soft tops are generally best left up so that this isn't as much of a problem when you go to close them.

timmo1, Dec 19, 4:19am
Is it the first time you've tried to raise it? If so, the latches may need adjustment as they'll still be setup for the old roof. Under the latch is a small pastic cover which pulls/hinges away then there is a threaded nut which you can wind to tighten or loosen the latch. Lots of guides on the internet :)

fordcrzy, Dec 19, 4:27am
99% of the tops are not leather. in fact i dont know of any leather tops at all. the mazda OEM top is not leather . cabrio world do a higher spec cloth top. but i digress. it is PERFECTLY NORMAL for a new top to be very hard to clip up when first installed . easiset way to get it clipped is to leave it in the sun up but not clipped then after a few hours get stuck in and haul it shut. oh and if you have a zip top there is a correct procedure to getting it up and down . NEVER zip/unzip the window with the top clipped at the front. sure fire way to break the zip

fordcrzy, Dec 19, 4:30am
leave it in the sun in the up position and get some cable ties between the header and top clip to pull on the top a bit. after a few hours youll get it Juuuuuuuust enough to clip it up. i'm assuming you have a hardtop? or have you just had it down since it was put on? Thats a big no no. new tops needto be stored in the up position to get them to stretch into shape. if it was easy to put up brand new it would be a sloppy mess after 6 months

andy61, Dec 19, 4:30am
They are always a tight fit for the first day or 2, leave it in the sun to allow it to stretch and relax . By the way if there was a LEATHER top available ,it would shrink in the first bit of rain and sun, I have fitted many tops to MX5s and have never heard of a leather top, as they are not made.The latches have an adjuster, adjust these right out ,then tighten again as the top stretches.The tops are made to be a tight fit for a start, or they will be loose and poor fitting later on.

mm12345, May 23, 9:03am
Perhaps OP is talking about a tonneau - not a soft-top.
These clip in to the slotted trim at the edge of the panel behind the soft top and are held there by tension in the vinyl fabric. They are a bit of a bastard to fit at the best of times, even the OEM one is nearly impossible to stretch to fit when they're cold.