Glow plugs again

newtec1, Jan 9, 3:29am
Is there a serious reason a small engine won't start without G/P , or are they just designed that way.The engine is a 3cyl kubota d600

intrade, Jan 9, 3:48am
some wont start with 1 dead glowplugs and some even start without glowplugs solong as its not freezing cold. My ssangyoung mb14 mercedes wont start unless i glow it even when hot, pushbuttoen glower on dash its not automatic glowing its why i know it wont start unless i glow it.

intrade, Jan 9, 3:51am
my tdi vw for example wont use glowplugs unless it is colder then 16° celcius . My 1988 iveco 2,4 turbodily never had glowplugs as direct injectors dont need glowplugs. The reason new diesel have glowplug is puerly for emission resons to keep emissions low and to ignite fuel injected in to the exhaust to clean the diesel particular filter.

newtec1, Jan 9, 3:51am
So are you saying it is in the design,not a fault with engine.

mrfxit, Jan 9, 3:51am
Correct 2nd comment.
Designed that way, Tho . if the engine is hot, most will start fine without glowing again.

newtec1, Jan 9, 3:53am
This is not a new engine, it is an older kubota 3 cyl 12 hp boat engine. Direct injection.

twincam1, Jan 9, 4:11am
Rings are probably gummed up if not started for long time. Low on compression.

ceebee2, Jan 9, 4:27am
Or infected / contaminated old fuel

intrade, Jan 9, 4:56am
its design if it was rings you add some engine oil in intake if it then fires up straight away without glowing then it is low compression rings problem

bigfatmat1, Jan 9, 5:19am
Kubota needs glow plugs.

gammelvind, Jan 9, 7:00am
My Gardner engine in my boat doesn't even have glo plugs, and other than the starter motor and alternator nothing electrical.

ladatrouble, Jan 9, 7:14am
Indirect injection always need glow plugs, direct usually don't. Except for the exceptions.

snoopy221, Jan 9, 7:21am
Sheesh In My DAMN Honest opinion diesels fall in to ONE of two categories.
1. Compression start.
2 Glow plug start
If it's got em [glow plugs]it needs em-if it ain't it don't
And most of the time an old boat donkey is user controlled glow plug preheat time-and yip. high maintenance.
If so fit a damn aftermarket water temperature controlled glow plug timer.
Those systems worked okay with the glow plugs of old.
But modern day mass production tolerance and .

Or.
The Ole
Start Ya basted

budgel, Jan 9, 7:54am

peka2, Jan 9, 8:06am
bigfatmat1 got it in one. Kubota need glowplugs designd that way. They dont like start ya basted either they lock up and wont wind over

newtec1, Jan 9, 9:31am
Yes that's what i was told originaly. i was just trying to confirm it is the case and not a problem with the engine. BTW, it runs perfectly except for not starting without G/Ps.

ralphdog1, Jan 9, 9:35am
I've got a D600 series 3 cyl Kubota, it's got about 1300 hrs on it, I am told in the application I have it in they normally do north of 2000 hrs without issue, so would be fair to say it is not knackered. It has shite loads of comp. and had about 900 hrs when I got it.
I have always had to glow it when cold, and if it has been stopped for more than 20 to 30 mins, glow also required.

I don't reckon you have a problem.

newtec1, Jan 9, 9:42am
Cheers that's what i was told from an engineer. Are they low compression engines to need G/Ps when cold.

mrfxit, Jan 9, 10:13am
Low compression is a relative term when considering diesels start at about 16 to 1 compression (around 450psi).
Wouldn't think a small motor like that would be very high.

alfred011, Jan 9, 10:45am
They are indirect injection diesel engines ,they have lower compression than a direct injection engine they will never start with out glow plugs ,life of glow plugs cant be given an hour life span it depends on how many times it is started daily ,some of the Kubota B7100 have done 1000s of hours and are still going ,a lot of the fridge units in trucks use the same engine,make sure you have a decent battery to get good cranking speed.

mrfxit, Jan 9, 7:17pm
Agreed, city usage of diesel vehicles (short haul) chew up glow plugs anytime from 6 months to about 3 years
Constant running or daily running engines can go for anything from about 2 years to 20 years on the same set of plugs.
Basically the longer it runs for each time, the longer the plugs last

newtec1, Jan 9, 7:26pm
I don't have a problem with the engine or the battery, i was just curious as to why they won't start without G/P. What is the difference between direct injection and indirect. I thought direct was straight from the inj pump into the injectors, or is that not the case.

newtec1, Feb 22, 4:26pm
Cheers, i now understand the difference between indirect and direct. It makes sense now why they need G/Ps start.