Kind of petrol

Page 2 / 2
networkguy, Aug 16, 8:15pm
Run what the manufacturer says, so look in the manual or the sticker inside the petrol cap door on the car (assuming its original sticker). You can find it by googling it but be certain of your car model - sometimes it can be different for different markets, my partner has an Outback that runs 95 because its an import, while the NZ new models run 91 instead. What ever you do, don't listen to anyone that tries to tell you they know better than the manufacturer.

bill-robinson, Aug 16, 8:22pm
try the different octane and brands untill you find one that suits your car and driving style. it may cost a few cents more but that is the only way. write down the numbers, and compare realistically. DO NOT USE a bum dynometer it is not calibrated for any thing except crap

extrayda, Aug 16, 8:38pm
Everyone has their own opinions, but I have found that all of my cars from a basic 90's Corolla to our Current 2000's Estima vans run better on 95. 91 definitely ran less well, and repeatedly less k's to a tank. 95 was good. 98 didn't make any noticeable difference other than costing a bit more. None of these were performance cars (except Turbo Skyline I guess) and none of them were Euro's. Mainly Jap Imports though. The extra few ks per tank would have made the 95 cost about the same as the 91 in the end.

rodeorunch, Aug 16, 8:44pm
Yeah ok thanks for this after running diesels for many years
I got out of touch with petrol only ran the lawnmower on it

nicz1, Aug 16, 11:56pm
91 or 98. it's the water in suspension that is the real killer of modern engines.

cjdnzl, Aug 17, 12:28am
I don't think I will try Gull 98, I believe they achieve that rating with ethanol, which will eat the rubber in my '98 Primera. BP98 suits me very well.

bill-robinson, Aug 17, 12:47am
never heard of water injection?

ralphdog1, Aug 17, 12:50am
Have had a 3.4 V6 Surf for 7 years and 60k, have done long term accurate recording of fuel consumption, and it is cheaper to run of 95/98, the improvement in distance traveled is more than the increased cost.
And unsurprisingly it runs better too.

intrade, Oct 2, 8:36am
its factual correct like i said most of you wont even remotly understand any of it as it took me a long time to understand why a more explosive fuel makes less power then a not so explosive slower burning higher octane, i clicked when i seen the tv series about blackpowder and modern gunpowder . blackpowder ignites way faster=91 octane and modern gunpowder you can hardly light up and has a ton more punch driving bullets out the barrel then blackpowder.
That is when it clicked for me why and how it works
also there is no such thing as 91 octane fuel sold in europe