How often to change diesel filter

friendly_prawn, Jan 5, 8:30am
Hey guys, how often do I change the diesel filter on my old hilux?
And how often do you change the air filter?

m16d, Jan 5, 8:41am
Well I pull the air filter out for a look every 10 thou,but i do put a new one every 20 thou. as for the fuel filter. I pulled the last one out at 50 thou, and cut it open for a look, and honestly couldn't see anything in it at all.

mrfxit, Jan 5, 8:50am
Petrol or Diesel

With those old engines, I simply use the cheapest oil & filter I can find & change both every 5000 km.
With the high kms' expected to be already on them, frequent changes are good for them.

Petrol I do filter change second time oil change around

jmma, Jan 5, 9:06am
Umm, should have gone to Specsavers Lol (o:

2get1, Jan 5, 9:13am
I replace the orginal airfilter with a K&N, then you just wash clean and reoil and never have to replace. I usually do the fuel filter every 50,000km that's on the assumption it hasn't had water in it and the water warning light hasn't come on at all.

franc123, Jan 5, 9:16am
Very much depends on how and where its driven, obviously in very dusty situations regular cleaning and replacement should be undertaken, even in as little as 20000km, otherwise every 40 should be enough. Diesel filters are the same, but if continually refuelling from drums or bulk containers where contamination through handling and storage is more likely than from service station fuel, do every 10k.

friendly_prawn, Jan 5, 6:40pm
, yeah wasn't worried about the oil filter. Oil and oil filter get changed when needed. Its the diesel filter and air filter that I was asking about. . Cheers for the replies guys.

mrfxit, Jan 5, 8:07pm
LOL meh, (1 word missing), It's hard to get an exact understanding some days from some of the TM members with all the abbreviations/ text speak & pigeon English being so common that it becomes second habit to add what appears to be missing words.

Any way . my excuse is being tired after getting back from a 1400km North Island trip & family visits on the way around.

LOL, Probably more the family visits then the driving that was harder.

mrfxit, Mar 22, 2:17am
I Spose it partly depends on how often you fill the tank (part or fully each time) which is also some similar information for air filters

Total km's done
Road types (gravel/ tarseal/ sandy/ clay) where you fill up
Rainy or dry weather mostly (humidity etc) dampness getting in the vehicle tank & fuel storage tanks.
Farm or retailer tanks.

Long distance tarseal or lots of short distance rural/ gravel etc roads