Cafe Racer - Bit of advice please.

mechnificent, Mar 29, 8:03pm
Good on Ya.

It's looking a bit like an old norton. Which is all good. I'd have higher bars myself for comforts sake. But I'm old.

motorboy2011, Mar 29, 8:13pm
Haha they are raised bars, originally I wanted standard clip-ons but decided I was too old too, went with ones with 40mm rise on them, glad I did now. This prob makes them about 40mm lower than the standard bars.

trogedon, Mar 29, 8:24pm
Looks great! A re grips equal length out from the clip ons?

motorboy2011, Mar 29, 8:32pm
Yeah bar length on each side is exact same as is grip length and position. The combined switchgear/clutch leaver on one side may made it look uneven

mechnificent, Mar 29, 8:37pm
Ha.

It's nice and tidy from the drivers seat. It needs to look that tidy from every direction. In that first photo it still looks a bit cluttered and bulky up the front there.

If I was in charge it'd have twenty mill led lights for indicators tucked in on custom brackets, a smaller headlight, smaller master cylinder, and if I had mirrors at all they would be about fifty mills round and tucked down close in somewhere. And those cables and wires would be tidier.

Ha. But I'm a hard task-master. I've built whole bikes for guys, from the spokes onwards, and have always had far higher expectations that they did of how tidy and "fit for purpose" it had to be. I've even had to tell them to do some bit's of design and fabrication twice because the prototype, when we tried it. looked ugly. haha. No-one ever complained. much. and all went with it because that was what they were paying me for, that as well as the actual mechanical work.

mechnificent, Mar 29, 8:40pm
Keep at it. there is always a better way. some slight improvement if we can be bothered or afford to do it. Mostly it only takes time though.

motorboy2011, Mar 29, 8:52pm
I'm trying keep front slightly bulky, as to match the rather bulky engine cylinders sticking out the side. When it's all finished it won't ever really be finished and I'll likely keep adding and subtracting until it looks right. Main aim was 1st build, do as much as I can, and keep it under 2k on the road.

All going well I have a 400 lined up which I'd go for a single seater, sleeker look as a future project.

trogedon, Mar 29, 8:53pm
mechnificent wrote:
Ha.

It's nice and tidy from the drivers seat. It needs to look that tidy from every direction. In that first photo it still looks a bit cluttered and bulky up the front there.

What he's done so far is practically useful - if mirrors for instance don't work there is no point to them.

motorboy2011, Mar 29, 9:18pm
Cables up the front def need be shortened and re-routed to tidy up.

Also I want drop both the speedo and tacho down to tighten the upper front up a bit, I don't think they look right sticking up so much. This will then make a shortening of their drive cables needed or they will loop out and mess up the front

mechnificent, Mar 30, 3:37am
Yeah I figured the hunched up solid look at the front, and it's a good idea.

Didn't mean to be critical. just tossing ideas out there.

mechnificent, Mar 30, 3:43am
The cables do need to be exactly right. I have a set of anvils to punch squares back on inners of speedo cables and it's often possible to gently reuse the outers and reshorten them yourself. That extra ten or fifteen mills make the difference between an elegant curve and an ugly one.

The anvils are just two chunks of steel with a vee groove filed down the length of them. The groove has to be the right size of course. Cut the inner, tidy it up with a grind, lay it on the groove and hold the top in place, hit it hard with a big hammer. Then you can turn it a quarter turn and tap it so it's humoring the discrepancies . Don't hit it too many times.

motorboy2011, Mar 30, 3:57am
Any criticism is well taken! My 1st build so the more opinions the better.

mechnificent, Mar 30, 4:10am
Cheers. Always good to see bikes.

And there will always be old coots standing around saying how they would have done it.

purple666, Apr 5, 1:55pm
I seem to remember judging a bike a few years back that had the wiring done by some marine guy and it had some very cool stainless sheathing on the wiring.