Top gear

mals69, Mar 6, 9:40am
Would the BMW and Bentley really beat a GTR Skyline
in a drag race ?

pandai, Mar 6, 9:54am
Both the BMW M6 and the Bentley GT V8S develop 680nm of torque where the GT-R has only 588. Their torque also starts around 1500~1700rpm versus 3200rpm for the GT-R. The V8s might not be as fast off the line but once they have some momentum they're hard to catch.

mugenb20b, Mar 6, 9:56am
We don't know how long the track was. Bentley and BMW have bigger lungs and would eventually catch up to the GTR.

tamarillo, Mar 6, 9:56am
That surprised me too, especially the Bentley, wow.

clark20, Mar 6, 9:59am
Usually a good big one will beat a good little one

nesta129, Mar 6, 10:02am
probably at top end speed,if the track is long enough.

mals69, Mar 6, 1:00pm
This video shows the opposite to top gear, not sure if exact same model Bentley ? But either way think they were taking
the proverbial, anyone think captain slow was in a 120Y
given the difference in distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qXYjBxnteA

clark20, Mar 6, 6:35pm
Yeah, but not that much, is it?, so drivers reaction time would make the difference, could go either way. Who knows how they react in 40 degrees temperature

daryl14, Mar 6, 7:00pm
I don't know what to believe on there any more after they apparently didn't realise that May didn't even make the drive up the mine hill climb.

socram, Mar 6, 8:12pm
It's entertainment chaps. Nothing scientific about the show at all. But having said that, I do think people tend to under-rate some cars. The Bentley is one and the performance of the Lotus in the Argentinian episodes might have raised a few eyebrows.

It's played for laughs - which is what makes it a fun show, so May's 'stashing of the UK Stig in the boot' was brilliant.

daryl14, Mar 6, 8:16pm
Its clear that the whole crew are out to play games and tricks on the presenters just as much as the presenters do to each other. But sometimes its a groaner when they try to pull a fast one over us.

bill-robinson, Mar 6, 8:27pm
are there people in nz who believe this tv show is real?

mike1345, Mar 6, 8:37pm
Ha ha, mind boggling isn't it?

bwg11, Mar 6, 8:42pm
Certainly is, but I was impressed with the Maloo. A lot of bang for the buck compared with the other three.

mrfxit, Mar 6, 8:43pm
To enjoy the show, 1st you have to be able to separate fact from fiction.
What you see, is not necessarily what you understand

mals69, Mar 6, 8:46pm
Could tell it was scripted at times but to me real
car guys do not take piss when it comes to
performance - that is based on merit.
Jeremy probably knew UK stig was in the boot
to begin with.
Use to prefer it years ago when it was just Jeremy,
but these days just record it and fast forward to see
if any cars of interest.

newtec1, Mar 7, 9:10am
No they don't,the whole show is stage managed and scripted just like a movie, and made to pretend it has just happened in reality. It is a brilliant piece of theatre and fools some people.The production crew must be enormous, and the research and planning must be months ahead of the show.

newtec1, Mar 7, 9:12am
There is nothing on that show based on merit,the whole show is very well scripted and stage managed.

vtecnet, Mar 7, 10:28am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTCFb6V7oT0
Looks legit to me, in this proper race video the BMW was still faster in the top end, just.

mals69, Mar 7, 11:45am
Pointless watching it newtec in my view if cannot even
show a legit drag-race.
Vetec IMHO the Nissan pissed over that beamed he just slowed
down not to run out of track, if it had been a standing start the beamer driver would only have seen the Nissan taillights.
Naturally we will all see it differently.

marmar1, Mar 7, 10:48pm
It's a great comedy show with some cars on the side.

ntalke, Mar 7, 11:17pm

socram, May 10, 5:41pm
Hardly trashed. Cars merely requiring a respray are not exactly trashed, when mechanically they survived intact. Good on Bentley, Nissan and BMW for making their cars available as with Top Gear, you know that they are not going to be treated with kid gloves.

The fact that all 3 survived so well is good publicity for the manufacturers and no doubt the data they gathered would be useful, given that they sent technicians with each car.