BMW Mini Cooper S advice please

Page 1 / 2
jantje, Feb 1, 5:37am
My wife ( and me ) love the new Mini but I have been doing some research and looks a troublesome engine.Was thinking of buying one but am getting cold feet. Any feedback would be appreciated.

lissa25, Feb 1, 5:41am
The 1.6 or the new 1.5-2.0?

socram, Feb 1, 5:49am
I have had mine (new) since 2002. Still on the original battery. Apart from a problem with the steering rack in the early days needing work, it is still like brand new. The 2002 had a supercharger but later ones have a turbo but they are both 1600cc.

Sure, it has been looked after, but at 7L/100 and performance when you need it, best brakes on any car I have ever driven, love it to bits. Low mileage to be sure but I have no issues whatever.

As with any car, much depends on the way it has been driven and the way it has been serviced. I'd always expect the owner to take me for a drive to check out simple stuff, like, do they ride the clutch?

Remember that when they came out in 2002, BMW/Mini thought that 30% of customers would buy the Cooper S, but in fact, 70% bought them. That means that there are plenty around so naturally, you'll get the odd bad one.

Based on your location, is there a local BMW/Mini dealership? If so, go and have a chat with the service department (not sales).

Some of those who bought the 'S' probably did so for reasons of status rather than performance, unlike the original BMC Cooper S.

I'm assuming you are buying secondhand, but If buying new, go for it.

intrade, Feb 1, 5:50am
dont buy that pile of crap especially the automatic are a extreem huge nightmare with rebuilt transmission craping them self straight away again. Not only is it a huge car outside inside there is no room you be better off buying a fiat 500 new version.

rovercitroen, Feb 1, 5:54am
Had a 2005 Cooper S (supercharged) for a while. Loved it. Awesome to drive - unreal handling. Good standard of finish. I didn't keep it long enough to comment on reliability. Really fun car. Might buy another one day.

socram, Feb 1, 7:26am
Just for the record intrade, at the Ferrari Racing Division's car park in Maranello, there are more Coopers and S's than Fiat 500's.

supernova2, Feb 1, 8:37am
What sort of prices are the tyres? They are runflats are they not?

poppy62, Feb 1, 8:39am
Rubbish! that is, this uninformed post.

quickbuck, Feb 1, 8:42am
As always. Haven't worked out the "Ignore" function on this board myself.

smac, Feb 1, 8:53am
mmm. need a real gearbox but recommend the BMW 2.0?

franc123, Feb 1, 8:56am
Too right, you wouldn't buy Fiat either!

poppy62, Feb 1, 9:03am
Hi Franc! Nah. Yeah, got a Bertone Cabrio cool car.

socram, Feb 1, 9:12am
Run flat tyres are no more expensive than any other decent branded tyre. (One thing I will never ever scrimp on is tyres.) I had the misfortune to hit an object on the Expressway just north of Meremere and split a tyre - though I didn't even know it at the time. The originals weren't directional but are no longer available so I ended up having to buy two new directional run flat tyres! I can't remember exactly what I paid as I was expecting to pay a heck of a lot more than I did. Probably around $225 each?

jmma, Feb 1, 9:14am
Uumm OK :o)
How's it going there old fellah, you been busy fixing that Beamer? Lol

poppy62, Feb 1, 9:42am
Hi mate, how are you? hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Nah mate, my other half has been flogging me to near death working on the batch over the last 10 days. Just got back and it'll be nice (not) to get some house sanding and painting therapy underway again tomorrow . This retirement thing is a killer. I'm so tired just dragging my weary ass up the stairs ai night,I can't even remember what it is I'm supposed to do when I get there.

jmma, Feb 1, 10:18am
Come on Guys, can we help poppy out and remind him what he has to do.
I will start, Make sure the Missus is there first!

tamarillo, Feb 1, 9:11pm
Check what your looking at. Latest has new platform and running gear which looks really good and is shared now with BMW own cars so doubt very very much is any problem there. Old one had engine shared with others and isn't reported as being a problem. They rate well in satisfaction surveys. You will always get the odd reject or person with over inflated odd opinions and all new cars have high tech engines and transmissions that can be horrible to fix if they do go wrong. These are made by BMW remember, they don't do crap. As for idea a fiat would be better made. I wish. I love Italian cars but well made.
If you like mini, get one. No problem. Check if new or outgoing model though. Outgoing should be big discount, new one is reported in tests as much much much better car all round so I'd pay for it. Plus less depreciation.

fiatracer, Feb 1, 9:16pm
My mechanic [brilliant, and a euro expert] said pretty much the same thing regarding the mini - never buy the auto, and watch for expensive steering failures. I love the mini but it's poss not the best buy. the only point I'd disagree on is buying a 500 instead - but mainly because I love the mini and don't like the 500 one bit.

tamarillo, Feb 2, 12:39am
I'll repeat - the new model has a new platform and new engine so old news is just not relevant - its a whole new thing and with an engine / gearbox BMW have designed for their own use its likely to be damn good. BMW get in top of reliability reports!

So if you're buying new - check it is new model and enjoy it.

socram, Feb 2, 12:45am
Wasn't the original BMW Mini platform shared with the Z3?

OP hasn't said whether they are looking at brand new or secondhand.

What I do know is that according to my accountant, my car is now worth about $1000 after 12 years! So I'd suggest that as I'd expect considerably more than that if I decided to sell, that the depreciation may not be such a major concern if you are in business.

fiatracer, Feb 2, 3:14am
how can the Mini platform be shared with a Z3? One is transverse FWD 1600cc, the other a RWD with inline 4 and 6 cylinder engines and 3 series suspension

jantje, Feb 2, 3:56am
Thanks tamarillo and fiatracer , that was informative and the answer I was after!

socram, Feb 2, 6:02am
Sorry, the commonality was with Z2. Stands in the corner wearing big pointy hat with a large 'D' on it. Z2 based on Mini and not the other way around. It's a real beggar getting old.

Quote:

"The new roadster, currently dubbed the Z2, will weigh just over 2,500 pounds and be based on the current MINI Cooper Hardtop. Yes, that does mean the Z2 will be front-wheel-drive. But before you cry into your keyboard and electrocute yourself, take solace in the fact that this car should debut for around $30,000, nearly $20,000 less than the current RWD Z4."

fiatracer, Feb 2, 8:29pm
ooh - not aware of the Z2 - could be a damned good little car :-)

fiatracer, Feb 3, 12:34am
just a computer rendering, but oh my that looks good

http://srv2.betterparts.org/images/bmw-z2-03.jpg