Boat opinion ?

davidmoore, Sep 17, 2:36am
looking for a small boat mainly lake use with occasional fish dive trip , keen on a Mac 420 or seaforce utility, any thoughts, limited budget 10/12k what hp range would be best for either of these are there any Seaforce utility,s out there ?

clscmg, Sep 17, 3:31am
While there are quite a number of larger NZ built boats, we prefer the Aussie alloy boats in the smaller size range and have a Savage 435 Sports fisherman which is fine for the sort of things you want to do. The manufacturers plate will state the max hp but in your size range about 40 is adequate. Don't forget that the budget must include life jackets, flares, radio and preferably a secondary propulsion system. Probably the best is to contact your local boat club and get advice there. Good luck

bwg11, Sep 17, 3:33am
MAC 420's are great boats. They have 2 main disadvantages, the first is low free-board which has just been addressed by the makers with a "high-side" version which I believe can be retro-fitted at the factory. Secondly, they are harder to launch into shallow water as they must sit on skids, not rollers like alloy or glass boats. They polyethylene is a great material, virtually indestructible. Later boats will be foam filled so unsinkable. The polyethylene is not as slippery on the water as glass or alloy, so will be slightly slower for the same power.

They are very stable at rest and handle a chop reasonably well, if somewhat wet. The 420 would require a minimum of 50 hp for several people and dive gear. The "fisherman" version would be my pick.

I tested one extensively 7 or 8 years back and bought a Stabi 459 in preference to the MAC. One person launching into shallow water was the deciding factor, so much easier with rollers, but the 420, particularly with the raised sides, is great boat. Good luck with your hunt.

klrider, Sep 17, 4:23am
You might be lucky to get what you are after with a reliable outboard for that money. Macs are great though, I had a 360, we ended up swapping the 15hp for a 25hp which was plenty. So I would think a 40 would be plenty for a 420. Down side is they are rardy heavy for the size, deceptive. But great peice of kit. Now have Stabi. Its good, but there are others out there I'll look at next. You might consider a (known brand) hard bottom inflatable?

kazbanz, Sep 17, 4:27am
other than lake use how often do you plan heading into ,the ocean?

davidmoore, Sep 17, 4:45am
x1
probably would head out to sea on real calm days as i like to dive, whale island and the Rau,s 5 miles or so off Whakatane, 2 divers and there gear, the Mac looks real stable and fairly roomy quite like the look of the sea force utility the hull lines look like a good little sea boat, really appreciate your thoughts,, the sea force does not come up for sale often

bwg11, Sep 17, 8:16am
Since my last post I have just picked up the latest (Sept-Oct) issue of TradeaBoat. There is a test of the "high-side" 420 which is quite complementary. Probably worth reading if you are close to buying one. From my experience, i would definitely suggest more than 40 hp. Someone once said, " there is nothing less exciting than an under-powered powerboat". I'll add, "even if it is a fishing dinghy".

unclejake, Jun 16, 9:17am
You forgot how hideous they are to keep in a straight line in a following sea, and (arguably )the less than ideal ride from their 11(?) degree deadrise

Davidmoore, have you considered a Frewza?