Down-sizing cars, does it work out cheaper?

medic, Mar 2, 1:49am
Trying to think of cost saving measures and have had a thought whether down-sizing our 7 seater to a small hatchback be cheaper to run. Has anyone done this and does it work out that way? I'm also guessing insurance may come down too?

We currently have a Toyota Ipsum which is a 2.6L engine, thinking of going down to a 1300 or 1500 hatchback. I have no idea how far we get on a litre of petrol. I just drive it and stick more in when needed.

vtecintegra, Mar 2, 1:51am
Depends on a lot of factors.

A smaller car may be easier on petrol, but they aren't all equal in that regard and you need to consider how much the swap will cost outside of fuel.

daryl14, Mar 2, 2:01am
You're almost always going to go newer and more expensive than the last car, but justifying it with a perceived economy boost is a common habit. So just be honest, you're bored and you want a new car. Repent and the TMMMB will forgive you, so long as you buy something shiny.

sw20, Mar 2, 2:03am
The difference you will pay in 'downsizing' to a smaller, newer, more economical car will pay for a tanker load of petrol.

medic, Mar 2, 2:04am
Actually, I'm quite happy with the car. Not wanting flasher or newer, (was thinking of similar age) just trying to spend less than $200 a mth on petrol. Thanks for your judgement though.

woody1946, Mar 2, 2:05am
And Silver for less wind drag

msigg, Mar 2, 2:39am
Yes to those above, when you downsize you will loose money on what you own already and then also you will loose money on what you buy, nothing to loose $3k-$4k in that exchange, if you are trying to save $20 /week then at the loss of $4k it will take 4 years to get back to zero, if on the other hand the vehicle is costing lots on maintenance and repairs then that's different, insurance will be the same for most cars, are you on third party insurance, can you afford to increase the excess. Is the van worth full cover, walk to the dairy instead of driving, buy a bike, drive with a thrifty foot, pump the tyre's up harder, take out any unwanted weight. Petrol has come down a bit so it's not so bad, long term look at your resources and what sort of vehicle will do you for the next ten years, ownership is the biggest cost/depreciation.

motorboy2011, Mar 2, 2:40am
It's a quite pointless question till you know how much gas you already use. Also, in lot of smaller cars are gutless, so you thrash them and they can use more gas than a bigger car and engine driven nicely because it doesnt need to be thrashed

mackboy, Mar 2, 3:02am
wow, If I could spend less than $200 a week on gas I'd be a very happy chap.
tried out some cars for the daughter, she wants a small hatchback.
At 100 k one was doing 3000rpm the other 2500 rpm. they were both 1800cc manuals.
my falcon runs at 1750 rpm at 100K
around town small cars are probably cheaper to run, open road, I'm undecided. mind you my falcon used less that $50 a week when I lived in town. living rural has a price. sometimes wonder if its worth it.

gmphil, Mar 2, 3:46am
ok I have two cars well a few more lol but I use two for this example .
1994 corona 1.6 litre petrol and 1996 vs commodore v6 petrol
like above my commy 1800 rpm at 100ks/ corona be around 3000 rpm doesn't have rev counter so around .
towing a 12ft tinny from takanini south aucks to kawakawa bay in back il use bout 12 buks gas in corona. in my commy bout $15 .
so u need to factor in how much short as in around town running and load u carry. as a small car with just you in it is doing wot its meant is x amount but fill it with some 100kg guys some shit in boot suddenly milage is not so good. ! but bigger engine will use more but only a tad as they have more torque.
if a second hand car same ages u mite need servicing = more dollars .
so as above will u really save .
so unless its a shopping cart in just few ks from home u probably wont save

tamarillo, Mar 2, 3:51am
$200, that's crucial to know. $50 a week isn't huge and you evidently don't do big miles so saving is less than high milage driver. Next factor is what sort of driving you do, where you live. City, traffic jams, long queues. smaller car much better. Open road, less. So
Where are you?
What driving do you do?
Is current car well serviced and known to be trouble free?

thunderbolt, Mar 2, 3:59am
Your ipsum will be 2.4 most likely.
As already stated, 50 per week isn't much and it would take a very long time to recoup the extra outlay if you updated.
Better to keep your car serviced well and tyres inflated. Driving with the AC off will help fuel consumption also.

daryl14, Mar 2, 4:02am
Bugger that for a game of soldiers.

medic, Mar 2, 5:19am
PN, generally around town, open road for 30 minutes once a fortnight. No major traffic, no hills. Current car has been relatively trouble free, but starting to need more and more done.

medic, Mar 2, 5:21am
And I'm not expecting to "update", more a side step. And it's just food for thought and whether it's worth investigating.

tamarillo, Mar 2, 5:30am
Ok, then IMO a change might work. A smaller lighter car will be more economical (all else being equal) for town work and if current car is not seemingly trustworthy and sound your not losing reliability changing. Thing is to buy AND sell well. If you simply go to dealer you'll pay a difference of course, and fair enough, and a small hatch is popular so won't be cheap.
so depending on year of your car and value look at things like Suzuki swift and its ilk.

Insurance, I'm not sure they do it on engine size do they? Maybe someone in insurance can tell us but ring your own insurer to check there policy.

License is same up to 2600 cc so unless on your rego doc you're over that you want save there, though you'll pay govt less tax with less gas which has got too be good.

kazbanz, Mar 2, 5:54am
medic--If your intention is to sell your ipsum and buy a car of the same value then it make sense as long as you don't end up going backwards year/milage wise.
Your best bet I would suggest would be to sell the car privately.

trouser, Mar 2, 6:56am
That is for the original registration of a vehicle not the on going licensing fee.

tamarillo, Mar 2, 6:59am
whoops, so sorry OP, talking bolocks, license is same any sized engine.

serf407, Mar 2, 7:09pm
#1 you have not said whether the vehicle is automatic or manual.

How long since the ipsum had the last major service/ tune - new spark plugs, put on on engine analyser etc, engine air filter ?
If it has iridium spark plugs they should last for quite a while.
Do you use engine oil friction modifiers?

As you do mostly slow speed travelling adding aero aids would probably not enhance fuel use much.

mrfxit, Mar 2, 7:22pm
Will the replacement vehicle compared to the current vehicle be . >>

Cheaper
Older
Dearer
Newer
Higher km's
Lower km's
Smaller body
Bigger body
Manual
Auto
Used more
Used less
Used the same
Carry the same or less amount of ppl/ gear as currently
Better condition
Worse condition
Easier to park
Harder to park
INSURANCE cover fee's different (higher/ Lower)
Can both partners drive it easily

brapbrap8, May 20, 6:09pm
I wouldn't bother changing, seems like small cars are fairly expensive compared to larger cars due to their popularity for being supposedly cheaper to run.
I would keep the big car if it is reliable.