Grrr Nissan

Page 1 / 2
brapbrap8, Sep 19, 12:12am
http://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/shows/72134149/Radical-Nissan-Gripz-looks-to-Gen-Z

Looks like the successor to the 370Z will be. An SUV, based on the Micra and no doubt with a CVT transmission too.
That would mean Nissan has 6 SUVs in their line up, and no proper performance cars except for the GTR which is about $200k.

Quite different to the 90's when they had the Pulsar GTIR, various hot Primeras and Bluebirds, Silvia and Skyline in their lineup which are legendary cars.
A good R34 Skyline can easily cost more than a late model GTR because they are so sought after.

I don't think that young guys in 15 years time will be scouring trademe looking for a good, unmolested Qashqi.

mals69, Sep 19, 12:32am
Kool looking though ! Agree they need to stick with decent
cubes but note it just at public reaction stage.
Apart from sr15 the cars mentioned are from nice to
look at - even in the 90's

serf407, Sep 19, 12:41am
Probably be girls looking for unmodified Qashqais to alter in 15 years time.

The bogan vehicle might be the low value Thai built Hilux with a V8 running on wood/ milk derived alcohol after the D4d was ruined driving kids to school.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivgSYnDzTFo (Saffa Hilux)

franc123, Sep 19, 12:46am
Both Juke and Pulsar are available as turbo's, they're not outwardly boyracerish but that doesn't mean they don't perform.

vtecintegra, Sep 19, 12:49am
There was never a 'hot' version of the Primera (closest would have been the P12 with SR20VE which was a later model anyway)

Anyway I guess it's all what sells, the Skyline is still around albeit in a somewhat different form, as are the warm versions of the Pulsar

gman35, Sep 19, 1:08am
Nissan has completely lost the plot both in design and knowing what their brand is supposed to "mean", as I see it.
Toyota is dependable/Ford's all just drive well/Subaru does good AWD with a "sporting" edge/Mazda is stylish and sporting/Honda is. actually I will stop there.
None of Nissan's range seem related in any sort of way (i.e. the GTR is so brilliant, yet the Tiida is barely acceptable for a mainstream brand). The ute designs are nothing like the sedans, and their general CAR range is just so dull , even the "SSS" Pulsar is nothing whatsoever like what any previous SSS was compared to any previous SSS version of a model.
Did the tie-up with Renault somehow create the confusion and incoherence of style that is Nissan today ?

vtecintegra, Sep 19, 1:12am
First of all there is no Tiida now

The Pulsar/Sentra SSS was never anything than warm though (the GTi-R was properly hot, but that was a far more limited production model)

As for their current car range, a lot of that is because it has been replaced with SUVs

robotnik, Sep 19, 1:26am
Everyone loves the crossovers nowadays. And they are good cars too, as long as you don't want a sporty drive, and really who does?

gman35, Sep 19, 1:34am
re: post #7 : But the SSS was comparable with a Ford Laser TX3 / Toyota Corolla GTI , yet the current Pulsar SSS with it's Turbo 1.6 is nothing like the driver's car that a Focus ST or Mazda SP25 is. Maybe it should just be the "S".
Re: their SUV range, even they seem quite different model to model, as the "Cashcow" and the "Entrail' (yes I made those up) are sort of equal-ish to their competition from what I read, yet the Pathfinder is apparently now an American designed pudding with zero steering feel and garbage to drive compared to CX9/Territory etc.
I have nothing against Nissan , my van is one and is very reliable (if antiquated) but still say they must be the most mixed up brand over their range.

timmo1, Sep 19, 1:43am
You have to remember though, that diverse line up was what almost took them to bankruptcy! There were multiple variants of the same car which all take development time, money, spares etc etc so the current line up is definitely more 'focused'. Two sports cars (370z and GTR) + the Skyline 370GT is still pretty decent IMO.

timmo1, Sep 19, 1:54am
Also bear in mind that concept cars generally loose the comical stance when they go into production (i.e. smaller rims, less detailed trim)

gman35, Sep 19, 1:56am
The couple of current sports cars are "focused", but now the next "Z" is to be an SUV ?
And the Skyline 370GT is surely quite different to the "Grandad" Altima.

timmo1, Sep 19, 3:00am
The current (i.e. now, not the future) line up is more focused than it was in the 90s. Nissan simply had too many variations on too many platforms to be profitable, nice as it was for us kiwis with second hand cars coming in- especially the sporty variants. did you want a GTiR a GTR, GTS-T, 200sx, 300zx, or NX?, . Only 3 models out of its 46 sold in Japan were profitable in 1999.

floscey, Sep 19, 3:19am
A new generation of Nissan Grippers

whqqsh, Sep 19, 3:21am
bit of poetic license on the 'legendary' bit for a few of those, OP

mals69, Sep 19, 3:44am
You a big gripper with a statement like that !

melonhead1, Sep 19, 4:05am
Why bother catering to younger buyers, they're poor. The baby boomers are the ones with all the money.

mals69, Sep 19, 4:33am
Hook younger buyers for life - no doubt Nissan know what they
are doing !

gman35, Sep 19, 4:38am
You're saying I want a boring Nissan SUV ?

mals69, Sep 19, 4:58am
Nissan 370 crossover far from boring - prob piss
all over your current ride ?

vtecintegra, Sep 19, 5:03am
The Skyline/Q50 is still available though

butterfly05, Sep 19, 5:09am
The current skyline (2015 model) is pretty nice imo. Hybrid drive from the fuga in a lighter car. Around 370hp and very dynamic to drive. Dual clutch auto with the electric motor built into the auto its the best design iv seen any company do for this type of hybrid. I just wish they'd offer the top spec engines with it if they had a vq37vhr (or better yet the vq50ve) with that hybrid drive it would be a very impressive car.

I'll be buying one once they are worth bugger all.

marmar1, Sep 19, 5:19am
Looks rubbish to me but the woman might like it.

kazbanz, Sep 19, 5:24am
brappy--do you mean NISSAN --or Nissan nz?

seadubya, Sep 19, 6:54am
Juke-R 2.0 looks like a total weapon. Nana's car on steroids - even more so than the Blade.