Mazda Capella Station Wagon - So upset

jan423, Mar 25, 8:06pm
I was told yesterday that the transmission in my car has burnt out, I have spent heaps on having cam belt done, CV joint replaced and other things done on it just before Christmas. I was told to just keep driving it, I cannot afford all at once to have a replacement Transmission put into it. What I would like to know if anyone here knows, how safe to keep driving it as it is? and would the trans just give out on me at any time or just keep going?

poppy62, Mar 25, 8:33pm
You really have nothing to lose. If it has been diagnosed as terminal and in need of a new trans, then just keep driving till it stops or until you can afford a replacement. The worst case scenario is that it will stop and that you'll need a tow truck as opposed to you driving for however long it takes to die. There are 2nd hand replacements available from wrecking yards at affordable costs.

jan423, Mar 25, 8:38pm
Thank you poppy, I was in touch with the people that did the cam belt and other work on it this morning and they are going to talk to their boss to see if I can pay it off weekly after giving them a good deposit and also they will ring around to see how much another transmission will cost. So fingers crossed as I am really stressing out over all of this. We need the car for my partner to get back and forth to work.

westwyn, Mar 25, 8:52pm
Depending on the year of your Capella, you might look at a drive (with mechanically minded friends) to Auckland and Zebra / Pick-A-Part yards (having checked availability first) and removing / buying a cheap auto transmission (having checked the fluids etc first) and having the workshop fit it in for you. Although there's no real guarantee of a long-term solution with this, it may save you quite a few hundreds!

jan423, Apr 13, 12:17am
Have just had phone call from the people who did my cambelt etc up in Takanini, South Auckland and they are going to do the job for me for $1,250.00. I was quoted $2,000 where I live and the good news is, I can put a deposit down and pay the rest off weekly. So feeling a bit better now.