Small engine pull start kickback?

bikernutrr, Jul 23, 6:36am
Been working on a project honda 13hp motor that I have previously had running and went to start it and the pull cord 'ripped' out of my hand and handle came off. Any ideas why that would happen? Engine not releasing compression maybe? Thanks in advance :)

m16d, Jul 23, 6:47am
Timing is wrong. ?

ladatrouble, Jul 23, 6:50am
Flywheel key. Had a mower with severe kickback brought into me once, really savage and hurt my hand repeatedly. Had me puzzled for awhile until I turned it upside down - no blade. Funny thing was the customer accused me of stealing the blade. duh, why would I do that?

cabrio1, Jul 23, 6:56am
If it was running fine and you have changed nothing I would just replace the handle and give it another go

bikernutrr, Jul 23, 7:43am
Tried again after fixing pull cord and started ok. Then went to start again and exact same thing happened. ouch! Hand is a bit numb now. Seems to get to a 'point' and the recoils at light speed! Handle flew off again across the garage.

msigg, Jul 23, 7:49am
Yes as above knock the timing back a tiny bit.

yz490, Jul 23, 8:53am
put a small flywheel with a bit of weight on end of the crank to give it some inertia. Had much the same thing on an old 4hp briggs mower but had no blade, plus it was me that removed it a long time before & forgot 'Doh'. Flywheel key [is the key] maybe, not sure if Hondas have an alloy key! . Valve lifter compression release--check the valve clearance & close it up to see if it helps. Think you should see the rocker kick a bit on exhaust just to let off some steam. Think "Ladatrouble" referred to this [no blade], what's more i've got a Lada With Trouble [niva lol]. Just google the 13hp honda problem & found a forum that pretty much comes up with similar ideas but one guy fitted an aftermarket electric start after stuffing his fingers.

yz490, Jul 23, 8:56am
& others on the forum mention the valve lifter compression release being damaged or valve clearance too wide as probably rely on close clearance for it to work i'd think. [guessing].

mrcat1, Jul 23, 9:20am
They need a flywheel of some description.

bikernutrr, Jul 23, 9:37am
Could the compression release spring be broken on the camshaft?

bwg11, Jul 23, 10:17am
My thoughts too. Put a vertical shaft Briggs, which was designed for a crankshaft mounted blade, on a small ride-on. Kicked back viciously until a heavier flywheel was fitted.

serf407, Jul 23, 7:51pm
Depending on what model of Honda engine it is?
Side valves and an exhaust that gets rain into the engine can be a bad combination.
Could be just an old motor that is worn out.

budgel, Jul 23, 8:02pm
Definitely have a look at the compression release mechanism as well as the flywheel keyway.

bikernutrr, Jul 24, 5:31am
Is the compression release mechanism easy to get too?

skygone1, Jul 24, 6:52am
I had one of those on a bale wrapper,you get to the stage your frightened to pull the rope, hold the rope tight and it will brake it, don't hold it tight and you won't feel your fingers for some time. Took it to a dealer to tune up and service to try and correct it, they never tightened the sump plug it lost its oil and seized up, replaced it with a cheap lookalike and solved the starting problem, different all together. Haven't been back to that workshop either, they didden't want to know about it.

bikernutrr, Jul 24, 9:44am
GX390 Valve clearances appear to be ok?

ladatrouble, Jul 24, 9:49am
Have you checked that flywheel key yet ?

bikernutrr, Jul 24, 10:06am
Sorry not yet, not too familiar with adjusting flywheel keys? how to check?

ladatrouble, Jul 24, 10:09am
You don't adjust them - remove the flywheel and inspect the key. If that's too hard, step away, you are not meant to be there.

bikernutrr, Jul 24, 10:22am
No problem, will check in the weekend. Thanks.

petermcg, Jul 26, 5:40am
We have a GC160 on water blaster, does that, just no flywheel, so good tuning is neecessary, spark plug, air filter, clean carb and fuel tank, and fit fuel filter if there is none. Replace with bigger handle and use both hands seems to be the secret. There like Arkwrights Till.

bwg11, Dec 28, 1:27am
Good technique will help too, One slow pull, just easing over TDC. Then slowiy pull, stopping on TDC compression stroke, allow recoil starter to rewind, then a really strong pull. The motor will now have to do two revolutions before the first firing stroke and is hopefully spinning fast enough not to kick back.