Undisclosed mods for insurance - K&N panel filter

petal_91, Mar 16, 9:28am
Just reading this article about auto insurance being declined for undisclosed modifications. My vehicle is stock, but uses a K&N drop in panel filter which saves me money over having to buy new disposable filters all the time. Might this count as a modification? Note this is with the standard airbox, not a pod.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11417381

jmma, Mar 16, 9:39am
Reading through that I think you would be OK with an air filter.
After all it is only a replacement filter.
Note this part:

"If you fail to disclose any modifications that aren't fairly standard, you run the risk of not being insured."

daryl14, Mar 16, 9:57am
They'd have to be pretty low to pull you up on that. You could argue it is standard as far as you are aware. Highly doubt they'd go looking for a filter as a cause of accident or any other claim. Mind you, if an insurer can find an out, they'll take it.

morrisman1, Mar 16, 10:10am
wouldnt they have to come up with a reason as to why the filter contributed to the accident? Id love to listen to that explanation. Would be almost as good as the salesman trying to sell me monster subwoofer cable.

tamarillo, Mar 16, 6:27pm
It's simply a replacement part, must be fine. Many bikers do this, it's stupid hard to get original in and out on mine so use a kn one which is designed to get out easier and wash. Lovely.

esprit, Mar 16, 7:43pm
Changing to a K&N Panel filter could never be used to decline an insurance or warranty claim. It's simply a replacement part.

petal_91, Mar 16, 7:57pm
I won't bother disclosing it. It probably is a performance part though if you believe K&N marketing material and to be sure the car does seem a little more responsive to the throttle with a clean K&N.

jason_247, Mar 16, 8:50pm
"being honest is the best policy" says the insurance companies.

Not making someone wait for 90 mins on the phone to tell someone you have tinted your windows would also be a good policy

tony9, Mar 16, 9:23pm
Section 11 of the Insurance Reform Act effectively requires an insurance company to not decline a claim unless the action or modification contributes to the claim. So regardless of whether the insurance company has been notified about a mod, if that mod does not contribute to the accident behind the claim, the claim cannot be refused.

franc123, Mar 16, 11:44pm
I'm sure everybody who has bought a vehicle with existing aftermarket tint on it has remembered to disclose it, NOT. As long as the overall tint was WOF compliant and could be proven to be so, any insurance co would have great difficulty proving the tint was a factor in a crash, a large can of worms would get opened with NZTA as a result. As for air filters, it would never be checked.

cherrybear29, Mar 16, 11:46pm
not entirely true in this case - modifications to a vehicle can affect whether an insurance company would have insured the car to begin with or whether renewal would be offered (although unlikely over a filter). to put it plainly - the claim wouldn't be declined on the basis of the modification however the entire insurance policy could be avoided (cancelled back to inception) meaning you would have no insurance to claim on.

If you are unsure if you should disclose something then best practice is to call and ask your insurer as each company has different rules. The legal duty of disclosure requires you disclose anything a prudent insurer would like to know - in NZ "i wasnt aware or didnt know i needed to tell you" doesnt change that fact or the outcome.

jmma, Mar 17, 12:33am
But but but it's an air filter, just like putting a better set of Ign. leads or better set of spark plugs aye (o:

elect70, Mar 17, 3:06am
Just send them an mail telling them about it & keep a copy . Never know , some insurers can be right picky bastids after a prang .

sr2, Mar 17, 3:32am
LOL, you're getting a bit carried away with the paranoia?

Most cars in NZ over 5 years old have had non oem service parts (filters, bulbs, brake pads, plugs,. etc.) fitted. If there was an insurance issue it would be on Fair Go on a weekly basis!

gsimpson, Mar 17, 3:52am
What next? Disclose you have fitted Champion Spark plugs instead of Factory fitted NGK?

socram, Mar 17, 5:54am
I think I'll just send them a copy of the LVVTA check sheet.

Not sure how it applies to a project car with agreed value whilst being built, as distinct from actually using the car on the road.

pauldw, Mar 17, 6:42am
Policy cancelled immediately for poor judgment.

richardmayes, Mar 17, 6:57am
If it is a K&N branded replacement filter element that fits perfectly within the standard air filter box, the chance that anyone would even notice (let alone have it occur to them that this might be A MODIFICATION) seems very small. ?

Your spark plugs probably have "OTHER BRAND" on the sides of them also. ?

cherrybear29, Mar 17, 8:57am
yes in this case I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem if its just a replacement filter (or at least it wouldnt be for the insurer i work for as an underwriter) however anyone that thinks that "just not bothering to mention mods" is going to be just fine should be aware of how things work in reality.

safest bet is to just talk to the insurer - better to find out now when your car is in one piece than finding out when you go to make a claim

sr2, Mar 17, 9:52am
Get real; in essence you're suggesting ringing your insurance company every time you have your car serviced!

socram, Mar 18, 8:23am
Thinking back to the only accident I have had, the car was written off and although standard, I can't remember anyone ever checking for originality or modifications.

Who for example, would be able to tell from a quick visual external inspection of a crashed car whether or not it had been bored out to maximum or the head modified?

cherrybear29, Apr 25, 12:52pm
no I'm suggesting that if you feel the need to come onto a message board and ask if something needs to be disclosed to your insurance company then you should probably just call your insurance company and ask.

(and to dispel the myth that a modification to your vehicle must be the cause of an accident or the claim wont be declined)

It's your choice at the end of the day.