I hate BMW's - they all look the bloody same

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Jan 6, 8:15pm
Walking past the dealership in Takapuna the other day.
$55,000 on the window of one car and $120,000 on the window of the one beside it, and it was hard to tell them apart.
Oh wait, new model coming out? yep, looks just like the old one. and the one that came out 20 years ago.

poppy62, Jan 6, 8:32pm
Why are you looking at BMW anyway. just jog on!

richardmayes, Jan 6, 8:40pm
Heck yes.
I parked in Mitre10 yesterday next to a 1997 Corvette. It was black, it had 4 chrome exhaust pipes coming out the back under the number plate, it had massive polished BBS style wheels, and the roof of it was at about the same height as my door mirrors.

THAT's a toy car! Who cares if the latest vorsprung durch technik is 12% faster and 15% "better"?

richardmayes, Jan 6, 8:48pm
3.0CS of the 1960s/70s was a good-looking car.

The controversial-looking big 5-series of the 2000s (the one that had a V10 in the M5) was a good-looking car.

socram, Jan 6, 10:17pm
Same applies to a lot of Mercedes.

Freelander 2 parked alongside Range Rover in the dealership when we bought ours 6 years ago. $100,000 difference. Not sure that it was justified as there is very little the Freelander couldn't do that a Range Rover could, 95% of the time.

BMW's 'kidney' grille, like Rolls Royces, dates back to pre war times, with the 328 sports.

Although BMW's tend to look similar, at least you know it is a BMW.

Stuffed if I can tell the difference between most other offerings these days, from any angle.

mals69, Jan 6, 10:22pm
Be best to break into a sprint from a euro

pandai, Jan 6, 10:26pm
Going to be worst at the Mercedes dealer now with the C, E and S class all having the same design

poppy62, Jan 6, 11:00pm
The thing is Mal69 it's in the Eye, you should be most grateful your other half chose you, especially when 3.5 billion others declined. I'm also presuming like most you don't have enough loose change for a BMW so you've gone for a Jap Renault.

mals69, Jan 6, 11:40pm
Give it but cannot take it eh pop - I was only a self made millionaire
at 29 so it does not pay to assume

poppy62, Jan 7, 1:58am
No malice intended mate, just a bit of banter, but if you're a bit tetchy, I apologize and won't take the pee anymore. BTW wealth doesn't impress me considering that most money people are sphincters anyway.

tgray, Jan 7, 2:18am
With Auckland house prices the way they are, 25% of the population are now 'millionaires'.

pandai, Jan 7, 2:23am
One was a 520d and the other was an M5? It's whats on the inside that counts!

clark20, Jan 7, 2:39am
But deduct the Mortgage and lots are not.

cabrio1, Jan 7, 5:50am
Each to their own I guess, very popular BMWs,
My 12 year old loves cameros, but he'll grow up one day.
Posers car.

harm_less, Jan 7, 6:12am
By the time your 12 year old grows up the car he aspires to probably isn't going to run on fossil fuel.

beetle1234, Jan 7, 6:19am
Who care,s,as long as it can do a smokey,lay a line of rubber up to 104km ph. safe as?

cabrio1, Jan 7, 6:26am
Yeah when I lived in the states it was the favoured car of dare I say it , "white trailer trash" from the 1970s onwards.
Is it racist to say that even tho I'm white?
Probably.

patiki1, Jan 7, 6:32am
You should walk pass a Porsche dealership.I would take a M3,5 and 6 any day of the week.

tgray, Jan 7, 7:01am
lol. Depends which model really.
I brought a 1998 Camaro home the other day and my 14 year old son rated it a 2 out of 10 and declined my offer for a blast around the block.
"5700cc aluminium V8 LS1" I protested, to unimpressed ears.
I think (hope?) his assessment was based on the 7 late model ones I have imported recently, which were awesome.

poppy62, Jan 7, 7:05am
Maybe he was taken by the awesome $100K + BMW.

tgray, Jan 7, 7:09am
Well he does like the I8 one we see in Takapuna quite regularly.
I keep telling him a $50,000 USA C7 Vett would smoke that $250,000 hybrid freak, but he is not convinced.
I guess I will have to work on my parenting skills.

desmodave, Jan 7, 7:19am
give him a go in the drivers seat so he can form an opinion . Not much fun in the passenger seat playing 2nd fiddle .

tgray, Jan 7, 7:22am
2 years too early.
Low 5 secs to 60mph was not too shabby 18 years ago.

poppy62, Jan 7, 7:25am
I'm with him on the i8. Wait till they get it up to Tessler specs and the Vette would left in the Ozone vapours. Hmmmmmm, wonder how much Ozone an electric motor produces over a 1/4 mile.

mals69, Jan 7, 7:55am
Who said anything about trying to impress - you were the one that beat
up on my financial situation

You seem to assume and generalise way to much

Do not think you and me got much in common so best to leave it at that