Is Parity Possible In NZ car racing

mals69, Mar 26, 9:34pm
Was looking at doing e30 racing, seen a car on here last week that had won every round (S.I) for two years except for one race.
The guy selling it no doubt was a good driver but the car most probably had a distinct advantage ? Had been dynoed by henshaw motorsport and see today he even supplies e30 race engines.
WTF ? - Thought the spirit of the e30 class was budget racing.
Even karting the same with the lengths some go to.

Does a class exist in NZ where parity is tightly held ? Want to pit myself
against other drivers not how much money they prepared to spend on their car.

roberto9, Mar 26, 10:02pm
Sounds the $2K class might suit you.

mals69, Mar 26, 11:16pm
Cheers, got 2k final booked on calander.
Got reasonable parity with same model car
but not the whole field.

bill-robinson, Mar 27, 12:09am
parity, just remember, that with true parity there cannot be any passing.

mals69, Mar 27, 12:28am
Pass them by taking quicker corner lines - later braking

socram, Mar 27, 12:36am
AES Series - 1 scratch race - no points. Two handicap races for points. Handicaps worked out on your own lap times. Chequebook is irrelevant.

Just stay on the track, do your best, support every round and based on a 20 year history, you'll be guaranteed a top 10 finish by the end of the season. Plenty of passing guaranteed as everyone SHOULD finish at the same time! Nice guys but if you are really interested in winning, hard luck. it is a bit of a lottery.

Your measure of success is your own lap times and consistency. Like golf, you are your own fiercest opponent.

esprit, Mar 27, 12:38am
Why do you need same parity with the whole field? You will NEVER achieve parity as the bloke with the biggest chequebook always wins. At least with 2kCup, no matter how fast your car or high your skill level, there's always plenty of people to race with!

rob_man, Mar 27, 2:18am
Parity would be dead boring, like watching a race between a field of robots.

serf407, Mar 27, 4:43am
It can be about getting out there and giving it a go.
https://youtu.be/hBKl_L8IWLA (rallying - a well driven car can often keep up with less committed drivers in better spec cars) https://youtu.be/4LiebAbYs8I (off road all in racing) https://youtu.be/1KArc72YUAo (club day Ruapuna)

vivac, Mar 27, 5:48am
Lol, a few cheaters in 2K too.

rob_man, Mar 27, 6:14am
Don't they have a rule that another competitor can buy another's car for $2k at any time to prevent overspending?

serf407, Mar 27, 7:03am
It's $2.5K at the end of a race meeting with the organisers doing the purchasing.
"2.8: At the end of the meeting, the organiser may elect to purchase any vehicle from its owner(s) for $2500. In other words, don??

kazbanz, Mar 27, 8:06am
Suzuki tried running a race series once using SV650 bikes.
The deal was you rented the bike for the day/weekend then gave it back at the end,it was a lottery which bike you got from meeting to meeting. You just kept your race number for the whole series.
It wasn't a huge success.
But I do wonder if a company like Suzuki or Toyota couldn't offer a race series on the same basis. 15 cars -or so for rent on the basis you get what you are given at beginning of the meeting.

mals69, Mar 27, 8:20am
Sounz good socram

More door handle racing more parity.

Good points raised thanks.

It can be about getting out there - wise words cheers.

Long as get out there and have some fun main thing.

Enjoyed the links thanks - good times at ruapuna

mals69, Mar 27, 8:22am
What about just using cars off your yard ?

towelynz, Mar 27, 10:36pm
I know the owner of the mentioned E30. The engine that's in that car is standard. It's not a race engine. The distinct advantage is the driver.

aptimaru, Mar 27, 11:12pm
This is my Uncles car and yes it has been on the dyno, along with all of the other cars in this class. The rules state that the air cleaner and exhaust is free, other than that there isn't anything that can be done to these cars. The engines are checked and sealed by the class scrutineer to stop cheating etc.
The sole reason this car has been so successful is due to the driver.
I can guarantee that a large cheque book definitely has nothing to do with it.

yoee, Mar 27, 11:33pm
I own the car and as i said in the ad the car is 100 per cent legal with all the seals still on it that it came with when I brought it from the man in Hamilton , the driver is the key and so is the set up of the car and I have got mine spot on obviously,

mals69, Mar 28, 6:18am
Cheers you 3

Good thing I used question marks :)

Well done there driver - with those sort of results
you truly look to be in a league of your own.

You got any YouTube links of you in action ?

yoee, Mar 28, 8:23am
BMW E30 Rd1 - YouTube
?

mals69, Mar 28, 9:26am
Cheers for the link

See what you mean in cars being evenly matched

serf407, Mar 28, 10:04am
Pukekohe BCD (before concrete & deviation)

https://youtu.be/MkK_3WuMg5o

mals69, Apr 8, 1:13pm
Nice one cherz - close racing indeed