Suggestions for used SUV?

taurus61, Jan 10, 5:03am
Freelander or Freelander 2 The first freelander had issues, lots of issue but the freelander 2 was a complete new vehicle. Was talking to the owner of my old one this afternoon and they are doing a road trip to south island in march with it. Coming up 8 years old never missed a beat and one of the more comfortable vehicles I have driven. There is another poster on here who I think has had a freeland and 2 freelander2 with out issue.
While the Freelander 2 has now been discontinued all its underpinning will continue on in the mean time in the Range Rover Evoque.
If you rely on the dog and lemon guide for advise ,I'm sorry but there is no real hope for you. That publication is a joke

boyd.park, Jan 10, 7:44am
Sounds nice :-)

What would you think would be the better way to go, slightly older model being 2009 with less kms, or more modern model 2010/2011 with higher kms? When comparing the kms the 2009 has done 95k versus the 2010/2011 has done 110k or 130k? Both NZ new, non turbo

Thanks

trogedon, Jan 10, 8:07am
Just buy a STATIONWAGON. All the benefits without the wanky pretentiousness of an SUV.

sport_billy, Jan 10, 11:37am
Unless you want 4wd with decent clearance - then your only option is pretty much the Outback.

golfdiver, Jan 10, 7:34pm
They are living rural with gravel roads. The OP does know what he needs.

golfdiver, Jan 10, 7:36pm
The non turbo is the 2.5 GSX model which is the same motor as the Mazda 6 . Pretty economical but not the same power as the 2.3 turbo. I thought the gsx only came out in the 2010 and beyond models? I guess it depends on the service history and the amount of K's you are going to do.

boyd.park, Jan 10, 8:34pm
You are right, I misread the advert, the 2009 is the turbo model, would this still be OK, as you can probably guess I don't know much about cars! I read somewhere about turbo giving problems or was that more for the imported cars?

brapbrap8, Jan 10, 10:33pm
OP, have you looked at the Subaru Outback?
They would be much nicer to drive than the Mazda would, with miles better handling and performance.
And they have a very good 4 wheel drive system.

I had one when I was living on gravel roads and it was awesome.

cassina1, Jan 10, 10:43pm
If that publication is a joke how come it has lasted more than 1 edition. It gets its info from actual service centres does it not?

golfdiver, Jan 11, 7:49am
I've had both and the Mazda eats the Subby for both handling and performance. 2.3 turbo with traction control all wheel drive and 19 inch wheels makes for very good performance.

ferrarigirl, Jan 11, 7:59am
Used to work with cars - Holdens ie the Captivas, lovely to drive just make sure its later model and diesel as the petrol versions were crazy thirsty and lacking in the power of the diesels. Found the Santa Fe's to be great all rounders, kitted out really nice inside, lots of extras and performance was up there. Ford petrols I would steer clear of - thirsty as a man in a desert. The mechanics I worked with slated the Subaru 4wds, and the older landrover discos. The one I most enjoyed working on and driving was the Audi Q7 - absolutely beautiful inside and out and a pleasure to drive - though pretty pricey. As others have said, often a wagon will give you the benefits of a 4wd without the pricetag. Some of these new Mazda 4wds are great both in terms of performance and price. Couple of mates have had a hilux - paid a premium for an old model, then upgraded to Ford Couriers, they have found them to be as good as the Hilux, and were able to get a newer, better kitted out vehicle for the same $. My opinion only!

ferrarigirl, Feb 14, 12:32am
If you are interested in a Toyota, check out the Top Gear episodes where they took out a Hilux - pretty impressive!