Ambiant air sensor Audi A4?

tamarillo, Mar 6, 2:40am
Has anyone fitted a new outside ambient air temp G-17 to a B5 series A4 audi, mine is 1998.
It's stuff up climate air when out and gives diagnostic code of short circuit to earth.
Mine has been botched up and the actual sensor had no wire connected.measy fix I thought to get new sensor with short harness and plug and fit. But I can't work out which of the plugs up by the power steering pump reservoir is right one. I assume the outside most one of the variuos wiring plugs in the bracket there, and it was disconnected. But it is the bottom plug fitted in to bracket that heads forward towards grill then end in empty plastic tube. The disconnected plug on top had a resistor shorting it's two side. But does not look like the plugs I see online for the correct part called a G17.
Bit of a long shot but it's possoble someone has attended to this before and can assist me identify I have the right plug. If I have do I get new wire with plug one end and sensor other and plug in to the top plug that's loose in pic?
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/368156681.jpg

Have googled and studied but no where does it identify which one it is.

bigfatmat1, Mar 6, 5:35am
I'm confused that is hard to read. I make out that, the sensor is disconnected, there is a short, you can't find the wiring, you found the short. ?

tamarillo, Mar 6, 6:30am
Yes it's disconnected, I'm trying to work out which of the variuos plugs there is the right one as the vacant one doesn't look like one to receive plug off correct part.
Posted in vague hope someone here might have replaced this sensor on own car and confirm for me it is indeed the empty plug.
In meantime will order up correct part anyway and hope for best.

tamarillo, Mar 6, 6:37am
All sorted!

bigfatmat1, Mar 6, 6:40am
Y don't you check the plug you think it is by feeding some resistance through it via a 1 amp fuse and see if it changes the temp reading.

tamarillo, Mar 6, 6:58am
Good idea, the plug from harness had a resistor across its terminals which explains why it always read same outside temp! Without the resistor I should get no reading so will check that. Ta

bigfatmat1, Mar 6, 7:02am
you may get a max reading. Most pull voltage down to ground as temp increases so it may read max negative temp

jmma, Mar 6, 7:11am
Can't you just stick your finger out the window :oP

tamarillo, May 14, 4:09pm
It's the effect it has on climate air that's problem. It uses the info in its brain and without it won't cool or heat properly.

Any I've ordered the sensor in and now know where plug is so all good.