Car raffling legal in New Zealand?

20498, Jul 1, 12:10am
This has been a craze on Facebook over in the UK and looks to be making waves over here in New Zealand quite recently as well.
Question: Is it possible to raffle your vehicle if you have a neutral party that looks after the vehicle, money and paper work until the winner/s have been notified etc? I had a look via google and it says all winnings must to the community and not to the person conducting the raffle. Cheers.

seadubya, Jul 1, 12:13am

doggitt, Jul 1, 12:24am
Bit unless you are authorised to run a raffle.

tweake, Jul 1, 1:17am
and i think the prizes have to be brand new.

there was a stink some years back about a crowd that raffled off a 2nd hand 4wd (fishing contest? ) that cost the winner a heap to fix. the crowd got done for it.

howie69, Jul 1, 3:38am
NZ Hotrod Association raffle a hot rod annually. Usually a rebuilt one. So guess it dosent have to be new

tweake, Jul 1, 4:17am
probably like the radio show that raffled a crappy piece of junk car. as long as they raffle it as a specific item. ie as a restored hot rod and its not a hotrod that needs restoring.

i think the one i mentioned they raffled a "toyota hilux" not a "piece of crap hilux that needs fixing". i recall a the time it was mentioned that prizes should be new.

magoo2, Jul 1, 7:23am
years ago in wellington someone sold tickets to a "party" then gave a car to 1 lucky ticket holder

elect70, Apr 3, 1:15am
I was at a biker " do "' once & had a raffle going 1st prize - 1st to shag the sheila they bought along .