What type of oil would you recommend?

johotech, Jul 10, 9:31pm
For a Toyota 1HD FT engine? (24V SOHC, not EFI)
It's high mileage, but doesn't seem to use any oil.

Synthetic? Mineral?

clark20, Jul 10, 9:56pm
The way it is today with new standards there is no real "bad" oil, it depends on how long you use it for. Synthetics will last longer and resist heat (turbos) better however minerals are still good (and stick to cam lobes better). Just don't leave changing it for too long.

intrade, Jul 10, 9:57pm
diesel use a good diesel oil in winter a thinner oil would be better
mineral oil.

intrade, Jul 10, 10:00pm
there is bad oils if you use a dpf engine oil in a old diesel you can destroy the bearings

clark20, Jul 10, 10:00pm
One piece of advice I heard was do not use Syn if the motor uses oil, as mineral will burn off, syn will burn and leave deposits (eg on the back of valves with leaking guides) and be hard to remove in normal use. The guys here may be able to say if this is true, I haven't opened up a motor for decades.

clark20, Jul 10, 10:01pm
That's not a bad oil, that is the wrong oil

mrfxit, Jul 10, 11:32pm
Best advice I have seen evidence of about high KM engines is DON'T use synthetic oils.
It cleans the engine of any hardened deposits that are possible keeping the engine running good.
Seen this happen a few times over the years with perfectly running engines that the owner wanted to future proof as a birthday present.

Best to use a couple of short interval oil changes (Eg: 500kms) & carry on doing oil & filter changes at recommended stages (NOT over)

mrfxit, Jul 10, 11:34pm
If it's already showing heavy signs of sludge in the tappet cover, LEAVE IT ALONE & just run it as per norm with std oil change times

shotgunkid, Jul 11, 5:24am
Have a look at this site. http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/valv_auMS/default.asp

Valvoline recommend a mineral based 15W / 40

jason_247, Jul 11, 7:11am
totally false but hey whatever keep spreading crap around the internet noone seems to mind

tamarillo, Feb 22, 6:27pm
If you know what oil it has been on, use that. Seriously.