"current license label not affixed in prescribed

danchop, Apr 14, 9:55am
manner"
got pinged for this by Auckland transport enforcers with my car parked on suburbier street outside my house.my rego was expired and on hold as its immobile due to an engine fault and I realise you can get pinged for this.
apart from the fact you pay double the price in fine amount for this offence rather being caught actually driving with expired rego,
does anyone else think the wording of the charge is stupid and can be interpreted in more ways than one?
this is how I look at it(I might be one eyed though)my car has the label expiring rego 31/01/15 and is affixed properly,the registration is on hold,so the label on the car is current for that car,is it not?
also on their website the explanation for this charges goes as follows.
???Person operated a motor vehicle on a road when the current licence issued to the vehicle and appropriate for its use was not affixed to it in the manner prescribed.
would barry hart get me off?

pico42, Apr 14, 10:00am
What's the expiry date on the licence label in the vehicle? If it is in the past, it is not a current licence label.
Given the above, you do not have a current licence label. Which therefore means you cannot have affixed it in the prescribed manner.

Such is the way legislation is promulgated.

snoopy221, Apr 14, 10:02am
Got a receipt from the tow truck that placed it there after it broke down?

danchop, Apr 14, 10:15am
yeah but it was back in november

danchop, Apr 14, 10:25am
stupid word to use. still
the current car I own is a 2004 Toyota corolla,but its not current is it,if it was it would be new,like 2015

mrfxit, Apr 14, 10:32am
LOL, lazy /picky warden pretending to be a cop.
Expired license but valid exemption which there is NO LABEL possible to be issued which results in the offense of "current license label not affixed in prescribed manner"

I think they use to but not since online transactions got going.

snoopy221, Apr 14, 10:50am
Defendable then as it was registered when the towie placed it on the road there and has not been *used* since-write in and attach a copy of the towing receipt-explaining.

tamarillo, Apr 14, 7:53pm
Just defend it. Traffic warden can't know it's on hold so book what they see. Can't say I get the wording either.
Might be good if you left a receipt for the on hold status on dash?

kazbanz, Apr 14, 8:44pm
Sorry danchop its two totally different issues
Unregistered car and to "plain English it" -we cant see/read the lable are two different things
THIS fine is because the lable isn't stuck on the screen in the proper place and in a way that all the numbers can be read.
if it happened back in November then you would have been sent a reminder notice then a court notice by now if you didn't pay the fine.
Actually by now you should have received a reminder notice from the court.
Basicly you have had 4 months to sort it out is how THEY see it.
I got EXACTLY the same notice a couple of years back and went ballistic within an hour of getting the ticket then within 24 hours they had my "explaination"
Ie -Tell your lazy fat warden to take 1/2 a second and look properly.
The sticker was exactly where it was soposed to be but the several advertising stickers on the screen meant you had to actually look for it.

daryl14, Apr 14, 9:03pm
Sounds like the charge is a double edged sword that they can have a slice out of you with. Either your licence is not current, or the label is not readable. In your case it's the former. No current licence means the car is not permitted to be parked on a (taxable) suburban street. We've seen this plenty of times before.

doggitt, Apr 14, 9:51pm
You can just stop the words at "current label not affixed. ". That much is true in your case. The rest "in the prescribed manner" is also true but superfluous to your case. But I guess the same charge would apply if some smart ass or dumb head put the label somewhere that it couldn't be seen. They could argue that they had attached it, but if it's not where it should be then the fine applies.

socram, Apr 14, 10:00pm
Just one offence - parking an unregistered car on the road. Everything else is then irrelevant.

The fines for these technical offences are out of kilter with any driving offences. Is it technically a motor car on the road if you place it on blocks with all four wheels removed? You could argue that it is then a rubbish skip! if it is lit at night, then maybe no offence at all, but you'd risk the council removing it.

msigg, Apr 14, 11:43pm
Its a public road, if not registered and warranted then take it off the road. You are not paying to use the road. It is a danger to other road users. Keep the road clear. This is how it is wording incorrect or not.

tony9, Apr 14, 11:56pm
x1
Correct. This is the actual law you are breaking. Get the car off a public road.

gazzat22, Apr 15, 12:35am
Basically if its moving the police will ticket it ,if its parked on a public road the council will ticket or remove it, move the thing into your driveway or somewhere else.Glad its not in my street!

mrfxit, Apr 15, 1:01am
LOL Dan,
Didn't even bother to check your location till now.

That helps a lot to explain why you got ticketed.

Bar-stools

danchop, Apr 15, 3:07am
Man our place has no driveway, its like offstreet only parking, it looks like a normal 2004 car with a WOF but its push only ATM lol. I have solved the problem to some extent and stuck the car inside a friends horsefloat who needed a place to store it till summer,and the float is legal,just looks stupid

lookoutas, Apr 15, 6:43am
Far out.

socram, Apr 15, 7:02am
Good thinking. Registered and warranted, loaded trailer, with an effective anti theft device is cheap to leave on the roadside and presumably 100% legal. A good anti theft device is essential as there are quite a few transporter trailers stolen each year - even from locked compounds!

pauldw, Apr 15, 8:24am
Watch out for the 7 day parking limit for trailers on public roads cf Road User Rules.

morrisman1, Apr 15, 8:35am
How can the council prove that it was continuously parked for 7 days, I bet that one could be battled pretty easily.

gamefisher, Apr 30, 12:47am
I have got a fine($200) for something similar, I sold a trailer 5 years ago and the new owner didn't register it in their name and it was deregistered 2013 yet I am now facing a fine for "current licence not fixed in prescribed manner". I have sent a letter disputing it but they are still persisting to fine me. Had the Auckland traffic warden been doing their job properly they should of impounded the trailer.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 3:23am
For me the key issue is the absurdity of the amount of the fine vs the offence. (Business's for example would go ape feces if they were charged 100% on late GST or some such, or imagine if the Council doubled your rates if they were late).

Also, the Council (and the national government for that matter) work for US we should not be paying our own council employees to wander about trying to ping us for late tax.

Lastly, it's totally unnecessary to have this sort of enforcement anyway. Under continuous licensing the bill will always be paid in the end anyway.

It's time we as a society stopped lapping up whatever absurd nonsense gets fed to us and say NO to this stupidity. I also can't believe we then tolerate prime time advertisements (which again WE pay for) where they quite literally have some "Heavy" gangster type stopping you travelling or taking your stuff away if you then don't pay these ludicrous fines.

For goodness sake NZ, wake up and stamp on this stupidity now!
We have got to stop letting ourselves be shamed in to thinking we are criminals over stupid things, while the real criminals and serious issues get ignored. This is nothing more than another poverty trap for the struggling low income parent or person with a disability who has to prioritise the doctor or dentist over car licensing for a month.

gsimpson, Feb 19, 11:17am
The license label is unnecessary now anyway as the Police or council revenue collector can quickly check whether the reg is current electronically.