Wrong way down the motorway. again

fordcrzy, Dec 2, 6:15am
so just wondering what people think should be the penalty for driving the wrong way down the motorway whether "intentional" or "by mistake".

ema1, Dec 2, 6:31am
Just watching another example of that very thing on TV1 News tonight showing a 4WD vehicle on a dash cam of a following vehicle, a totally appalling display of driving IMHO.!
The driver should be band forthwith so he doesn't get a chance to do it again.
It was thought that the occupants of the offending vehicle were overseas tourists?
I've seen enough of them myself down south and I'm now mighty pleased to say I don't have to face these "accidents/crashes waiting to happen" anymore!
fordcrzy you mention "intentional or by mistake. " there's absolutely no reason or excuse what so ever for either action that can be bloody well condoned (" excuse my French") END OF SUBJECT !
IT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. AT ALL .PERIOD.
Penalty at present seems to be fatality of innocent folks going about there business.
I hope the law makers( GOVT) in this country get one HELL of a lot tougher on those at fault in ALL of these cases, it's way way long overdue.

henderson_guy, Dec 2, 6:55am
Happens quite often in Tauranga, with the latest example on Sunday. Usually it's a frail driver who's struggling to drive. I think yearly practical re-sits for those over 70 should help.

fordcrzy, Dec 2, 6:56am
there has been a spate of people doing just this in the bay of plenty motorways and the police have been turning a blind eye to it. treating it as one of those funny old things you talk to ldies about and you turn them around and send them on thier way without a ticket. until yesterday there was a serious head on with 5 people in hospital. i wonder what the cops would do if it were a boy racer doing this? instant loss of licence car impounded court etc etc

socram, Dec 2, 7:04am
I take it that you aren't yet 70 or anywhere near it?

Geez, 70 isn't frail, far from it. Many of our friends are between 60 and 75 and I wouldn't call any of them frail. Several are still racing for goodness sake.

Youngsters are already waiting weeks to sit their practical tests so to bring in several hundred thousand extra driving tests in each year is going to call for some serious resources and yet another financial hit to the pensioners, the vast majority not driving the wrong way down a motorway. Hit the majority to sort out the minority? I don't think so. We have already suffered the effects of rules designed to curb a few dozy boy racers with dangerous car modifications. The sensible modifer now has to jump through so many (often expensive) hoops it isn't funny.

There are plenty of incompetent dozy drivers well under 70 who seem incapable of observing road signs - or understanding them.

henderson_guy, Dec 2, 7:13am
You'd be correct on all counts. However, there are a lot of people who are facing the onset of senility at 70 as well. Just look at ol' clatty!

socram, Dec 2, 7:15am
LOL Geez, I missed that one. ! However, target the clatty's and leave me alone!

neell, Dec 2, 7:30am
Frail 70 year olds, try telling that to the Aussie government - they want to put the retirement age up to 75. Bet NZ will want to follow suit on that one.

ema1, Dec 2, 10:51am
Australia sounds like it's going down the gurgler what with car manufacturing closing down pretty much in near future, mining not going as well as it once did among other things then to cap that wanting to put retirement age up to 75 just accentuates what I suspect is the case gurgler wise.
Some oldies might be capable of working up to 70 plus but there are lots who actually can't?
Besides with policies like raising the retirement to such an extent totally denies young folk from actually having any chance of employment, pity politicians can't get their puny self centered brains around that fact?
The exodus from Australia to here and elsewhere of NZ ex patriots etc hasn't been at such a high level in decades.
Hell the damn place after all it's full of nasty critters snakes and Aussies.
Bad driving though covers a large age spectrum, there are lots of very capable older drivers out there still and always will be, one thing lots are not impulsive like some young ones are either.
Rubber necking tourists are a major problem down our end of the country, it ( rubber necking not watching the road or keeping left)actually extends into the realms of being rife unfortunately .

noswalg, Dec 2, 11:25pm
http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/74635193/Wrong-way-crash-injures-mum-daughter-blocks-Cobham-Drive-in-Hamilton And another one how the hell are these people allowed to stay on the roads? As a motorcyclist that uses this stretch of road all the time, this scares the hell out of me, although I mostly stay in the left lane on that bend anyway due to not being able to see the hidden queue on the inside lane.

thegreycat, Dec 2, 11:31pm
I have seen that they have installed flashing lights above the 'WRONG WAY' signs on the off ramps in AKL which seem to be triggered by radar

seadubya, Dec 2, 11:36pm
If they can trigger lights by radar, then they can trigger tyre spikes or bollards too. I'd much rather see the offender pay for a new bumper or set of tyres than risk the innocents that they will drive into.

socram, Dec 3, 8:13am
It certainly works in private car parks!

2get1, Aug 5, 10:18am
sounds reasonable to me, and would prevent needless mayhem, injury and death. would stop the pricks that try this stunt as a way of getting away from the police aswell,