Honda 5.5HP REduction Gearbox

bswit, Nov 28, 12:27am
Not sure if this is the right forum, but am looking for a 2:1 reduction gearbox for a Honda 5.5HP engine.

A little background. The 5.5HP Honda clone that was on our little logsplitter finally gave up the ghost. We sourced a genuine Honda engine cheap, HOWEVER, on installing it and running it, the engine stalls when trying to drive ram through wood. The old engine had a built in reduction gearbox (assume it was a 2:1). I believe there is such a thing as one of these reduction gearboxes that will bolt on to the side of the engine. Am I on the right track or is there an alternative?

If someone has one of these can you start an auction for it and let me know. Would have to be at the right price though.

skiff1, Nov 28, 3:11am
Couple the pump to the motor with pulleys and v-belts? Any gear ratio you like then.

skiff1, Nov 28, 3:11am
Or NOS, and just split at twice the speed?

bswit, Nov 28, 4:36am
Thank you for your "helpful" suggestions there skiff. NOS is a good idea, but probably not suitable for our purposes. I can see fingers being severed with that.

And really I don't want to muck around with pulleys and belts, while it may well work good, I would prefer to use the drive system that is "meant" to be on there.

alfred011, Nov 29, 10:27am
They make some with 2;1 and 6:1 reduction boxes don't cost much either.Brand new Chinese copies probably less than $300.

alfred011, Aug 22, 11:30am
They make some with 2;1 and 6:1 reduction boxes don't cost much either.Brand new Chinese copies probably less than $300.See auction # 989096402 6.5 hp 2:1 reduction box complete ready to bolt on.