Stale 91 Petrol

robotix1970, Nov 4, 8:36am
how can that be fixed ?. which product can be used mentholated spirits or kerosene or is there something else available to bring the octane rating up?.

marte, Nov 4, 8:55am
Acetone? (its in most fingernail polish removers)

m16d, Nov 4, 9:13am
FFS. just tip it out.

robotix1970, Nov 4, 9:18am
not really a viable option since i wish to be environmentally friendly towards mother nature.

tintop, Nov 4, 9:20am
95 octane.

r.g.nixon, Nov 4, 9:20am
In that case burn it. Yay for CO2!

aj.2., Nov 4, 9:21am
Just add in fresh fuel , so long as there is no water in the old fuel it will be burnt up .
Mind you , you have not said what the stale fuel is in . but do not try and add anything other than new petrol , as some plastics used today will not cope with anything else.

robotix1970, Nov 4, 9:28am
It was in a 94 toyota corolla (before i hit a concrete fence post and wrote it off at 55 kph lol) but it may have gotten a little bit of moisture into it when someone left the fuel cap off on a cold night

dasfi, Nov 4, 9:31am
Send the whole thing to the scrappies. youll get your gas money back

thewomble1, Nov 4, 9:46am
Meths will help remove any water but it won't freshen the petrol.

franc123, Nov 4, 9:55am
Suck it out if the tank either from the top of the tank and leave the last few litres behind, or if its fuel injected, pump it out through the feed line in the engine bay into a container by powering up the fuel pump and running it, obviously a long length of fuel hose may be needed to run it into the container. The only snag with the latter method is that water in the bottom may get sucked out in the process, stop the pump and inspect the first couple of litres pumped out for any contamination Keep it in a sealed container and dispose of it in another vehicle adding say five litres at a time to a full tank of fuel. It won't hurt anything.

jmma, Nov 4, 9:56am
Use it as weed killer. It came out of the ground, you will be just returning it to where it started from (o:

daves01, Nov 4, 9:57am
Mother nature made crude oil .

robotix1970, Nov 4, 10:22am
Man used it to pollute the oceans

lugee, Nov 4, 10:22am
But it wasn't made on the surface where it can get into waterways and the such

intrade, Nov 4, 10:26am
psst dont tell the greenies

tony9, Nov 4, 7:06pm
No, god does. Way more crude leaks into the oceans from seepage than man ever spilt.

kazbanz, Nov 4, 7:55pm
robotix-ok so you have a max of 60l of old/stale fuel.
IMO the answer is to half fill a 20l container or three with 98/95 octane fuel then top em off with the stale stuff.
Then pour it into another car.
When you are down to the last few litres I would decant the stale fuel into a clear plastic jug to see if theres any water in the fuel then transfer it to the 20l containers.

supernova2, Nov 4, 8:19pm
This is interesting.
I fired up a car that hadn't been started for 3 years yesterday and the fuel is older than that.
The fuel absolutely stinks!
Yet it started first turn and runs perfectly.
IMHO I'd just put the OP's fuel into another car, or perhaps the lawnmower, and simply use it.

elect70, Nov 4, 11:04pm
I reckon its a myth ive used 7yr old petrol no problem . Probably got water in it drain it out water will be easy to see put in fresh ,use old stuff in your lawnmower .

mrfxit, Nov 5, 1:58am
Probably the only vehicle that "MAY" have any issues is the latest "Direct Injection" engines

daves01, Nov 5, 11:30am
Sure does, and plenty more land based seeps too . even here in NZ

marte, Nov 5, 11:41am
We get the odd emergency callout in Foveaux strait because someones seen oil slicks on the sea surface and thinks a boat has sunk or a plane crashed.

Its just a oil leak from underground.

pfemstn, Nov 16, 6:17pm
if the fuel stinks check the fuel tank for corrosion,as in most cases it will be a mess! stale fuel is very acidic, and the fumes will corrode above the fuel level, and the fuel itself will corrode the rest! specially old tanks!