Pros & Cons Hyundai imax / vans

Page 2 / 2
3tomany, Jan 10, 8:49pm
Why is everyone here bashing jazz. Yes he is very biased about euro stuff just as most on here are about their fav brand but the advise Jazz gives is almost always right on the money. Thanks Jazz for your insightful posts from message boards biggest Ford fan.

johotech, Jan 10, 9:32pm
There is so much "Jazz bashing" going on not only because of his constant euro promotion, but because the information he purports as fact to denigrate non-euro is often so wrong!

Here are a couple of those false claims.

Lock up torque converters have been around since 1950, but possibly Jazz hasn't noticed yet. Pretty much every automatic since the 1990's locks the torque converter in 3rd & 4th. (and of course 5th in later models).

But yes, he's right, torque converters do affect power and economy - mostly in traffic, below 50kph, when you don't need much power, and the economy of any car is crap in those driving conditions anyway.

So if Jazz wants to improve his credibility, he should stick to the facts when trying to compare non-euro vehicles - which obviously he has little knowledge of.

jmma, Jan 10, 9:46pm

johotech, Jan 10, 9:52pm
And as for sticking to the request of the OP, I don't see how that VW model would be possible within the OPs budget?

Cheapest one I can find on TM is $40k for a plain old van.

twincam1, Jan 10, 9:58pm
Not good if any rust in them. I had an 850 20 yrs ago, heap of junk. Was a fast back not a van

ema1, Jan 10, 11:22pm
I've had Euro's in the past too,those days they were built when there seemed to be a lot more pride in the product compared to today's lot( still got 2 low mileage examples of a 220SEb Mercedes Benz 1965 and a Volvo 760GLE 1986 ).
The 2 mentioned here would be far better built and finished cars than today's ones absolutely.
I haven't got anything against Euro ownership per say either apart from the niggly problems I had from several I actually did have prior to my present Euro's, but as previously said I know what I prefer period.
Would Volvo be classed as Euro . more like Scandinavian I think seeing Swedes refer to themselves as such?
Like I said previously the "Euro Salesman" posts generally good info on the Euro subject but when a total dissing of anything non Euro happens because of agenda issues then the jazz bashing will happen simply because he so often goes off on a needless tangent of discrediting on threads where non Euro's are being discussed or questions being asked about as j_fung9007 asked about and has pointed out his displeasure at the "gate crashing=trolling" non Euro busting with a diatribe of untruths virtually discrediting the Hyundai product !.
The so called ''bashing" or defense call it what you like, can be expected . simple as that and rightly so.

stevo2, Jan 11, 2:50am
Sorry I took so long to reply but Ive been up the Coromandel in our iLoad and ran outa data.
My iLoad is now 15months old and done near 29,000 trouble free km.
It is a 6 speed manual and has returned at least 8.2lt/100km and I'm always loaded to the tune of about 800kg.
It has developed no rattles or squeaks and leaks no fluids.
I've driven vans for many years starting with a CA Bedford (sliding front door model).
It drives on the open road extremely well, almost car like and I can honestly say there is less road noise than in Mrs Stevos Mazda3. It has seriously good power and will get you well over the threshold for losing your license if you wish.
If your use is open road I would highly recommend one but if you spend all of your time in town take a look at the Hiace as they are easier to get around the tight confines of the city.
I took a look at the VW but was advised against it by a few mechanics and the even the agent told me the costs of keeping it on the road would be higher than a Jappa or Korean van. Even Jazz's favourite mechanic advised me to stay away from Euros lol.
The Merc agent wasnt interested in talking to a guy that walked into his showroom wearing work clothes so they were crossed off the list.
If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask.
Cheers Stevo

msigg, Jan 11, 3:47am
Good to see opinions from those in the know and using the said items. Good broad approach.Well done.

stevo2, Jan 11, 3:59am
I try not to run down others products, but while up in the Coromandel, I was chatting to a Rural Delivery Owner/Driver who drives an under 4 year old VW Caddy max diesel.
It has now turned over 100,000km in in the last 12 months, she has had to spend well in excess of $10,000 on the engine.
She hit up VW and they didnt want to know about it as it was out of warranty (Just)
That was one vehicle that was on my shortlist when hunting for a van but I thought it may be at its limit since I always carry around 800kg.
Quite pleased I stayed away from it.

attitudedesignz, Jan 11, 4:24am
Wait for it, there will be a perfectly reasonable reason for that.
Like the amount of k's she does or the roughness of the roads she's on.
Either way it will be refuted, pffft.

j_fung9007, Jan 11, 6:16am
Stevo: I'm guessing your iload is a diesel?! How often do you service them? is it every 10,000kms or more?!

The vehicle is for my missus (our primary vehicle), mostly transferring 3x kids around in Hamilton. I'm the driver during the weekends and holidays. The only thing that puts me off is the actual size of the beast. Is it easy to see the front corners of the vehicle when sitting on the driver's seat? My missus is quite short, can the seat be adjusted vertically?

I've driven the new Hiace and I loved it but they are quite commercial van like. Safety wise I don't think they are as solid as the Imax. Don't they have some sort of common injector issues after certain amount kms?!

rovercitroen, Jan 11, 6:35am
It would be interesting to know what went wrong with that VW engine and why. Maybe the Euro vehicle "longer service intervals to save you money" caught up with it? It doesn't take many repairs to wipe out the fuel savings that the VW or Fiat supposedly gives you over the Jap and Korean "outdated (but proven) technology".

ema1, Jan 11, 6:46am
Longer service intervals going by my motor trade experience is literally courting disaster.
I myself do all my vehicles every 5000km oil & filter changes and the fact I've had next to no issues over the last 48 years of vehicle ownership is testament to my rigid 5000km servicing the oils & filters regime.
after all oil and oil filters etc is not a major in motoring expense, neglect and super extended service intervals is most likely a major contributor.
Oil and filters and indeed all fluids are the life blood of any vehicle.

stevo2, Jan 11, 6:51am
Yes mine is a diesel 2500cc.
They require a service every 12 months or 15,000km. Yes they are a big beast, as with all vehicles, you cant actually see the front corners of the van but its not hard to judge where they are.
She will drive it around ok but she will have issues parallel parking in the small carparks the city have these days.
The drivers seat adjusts fore and aft as well as vertically. Unlike the Hiace (which is a reliable van but a terrible ride) the passengers seat also slides forwards or rearwards.
Regarding the Hiace, it doesnt suffer from injector issues that the Hilux did, although it runs the same basic engine as the Hilux, it is in a de-tuned form. The Hilux issues were sorted in about 2011
It may be that a people mover could be more suited for your purpose?
Being RWD they tow well and have good traction and a diff lock of sorts.

Our first people mover we bought when our kids were small was a Mitsi L300 Sportpac van 4WD that Mrs Stevo used to cart the 3 nippers around in. It also doubled up as a tow wagon for launching our jetboat off the river banks.
Cheers Stevo

rovercitroen, Jan 11, 6:52am
In reply to ema1 above. But for a commercial vehicle that does say, 60,000 kms or more per year, time off the road for servicing every 5000kms or even 10,000kms would be a big cost and a major inconvenience. I agree with what you are saying but in the last few decades oils must have got alot better so allowing 'safe' 15 - 20,000 km changes? But some of the Euro vehicles are 30,000 kms+ for oil servicing.

stevo2, Jan 11, 6:57am
I dont know as I had the feeling she didnt know either. What I do know is she had it serviced religiously, it died around the 100,000km mark and cost $10k to fix. VW told her its past 3 years old so warranty is over. Go away.
She wont buy another and was happy to advise others of the same.

stevo2, Jan 11, 7:01am
Another rural Delivery driver I know (yes I know quite a few of them) runs a Hiace that she replaces every 2 years/200,000km and she books a service every 3 weeks (she is fussy about sheduled servicing.)

ema1, Jan 11, 7:14am
True but I still baulk at the big distances like above 15-20,000kms. The time off the road would be a hell of a lot bigger inconvenience if an engine failure is due to those so called extended service intervals.
Lots of commercial operators think the same thing down our way I must say and they mostly have had trouble free runs from all their vehicles.
That's also talking recent times BTW.

franc123, Jan 11, 9:03am
That is quite possibly one of the biggest false statements I've ever seen in the 8 years I've been looking at these boards. Words fail me.

franc123, Jan 11, 9:06am
These long service intervals are far more appropriate for markets where they have much higher quality diesel than we do I'm sad to say. You wouldn't want to see a lab analysis of how far that engine oil degrades in that last 10-15k.

ema1, Jan 11, 9:59am
My point exactly, same goes for our inferior petrol quality.

theo35, Feb 13, 2:11am
For OP my pros on the practicality of the Imax:

I take the last row of seats out between warrants which turns it into a 5 seater luxury van with 6' of van space in the back. With the gap between the front seats it makes the front area very social for the front 5 occupants. Also the sliding doors have sliding windows which is nice for the 2nd row passengers.

I say luxury because:
Air conditioning (front and rear), usb, bluetooth, fully lined interior, reverse parking sensors, good stereo, fold down armrests on front seats, Hyundai security, all electrics (mirriors, doors, windows etc.) etc. etc.